June 5, 2018 - Members with the Beta Sigma Phi Preceptor Upsilon Chapter presented the Fannie Brown Booth Memorial Library with a $2,400 donation on Tuesday, May 29, 2018. Attending the donation presentation included Andi Foster, Montie Jones, Library Director Sandra Davis, Chapter President Sue Russell, Mary Masterson and Laura Rowe. The Preceptor Upsilon Chapter extends their appreciation to the library for their continued service to our community.
The Fannie Brown Booth Library (http://www.centerlibrary.org) has served Shelby County residents at its present site in Center since 1974. Mr. Edwin Brown Booth, son of Fannie Brown Booth, a beloved area schoolteacher, spearheaded the effort to secure funding from the Brown Foundation of Houston for the current library building. Center’s civic organizations and the City of Center provided the other funding necessary to provide the community with a quality facility. The library also provides a spacious meeting room that is furnished and maintained by the Redditt family members. The community is indebted to those organizations and individuals who continue to support the library.
Beta Sigma Phi is an international non-profit organization, non-academic sorority for women offering opportunities friendship, development of cultural appreciation, and community service. The Greek letters stand for life, learning and friendship. Approximately, 12,500 chapters in 20 countries meet twice a month for a brief business meeting and cultural program. Founded by Walter W. Ross in Abilene, Kansas in 1931 with seven members, the organization today has 250,000 members. Beta Sigma Phi supports various projects including the International Endowment Fund, Disaster Relief Fund, Breast Cancer Research Fund and Scholarship Fund.