January 13, 2018 - Two busy exit ramps on SL 287 in Lufkin are scheduled for closure beginning Monday, Jan. 22, for rehabilitation of the roadway.
Northbound exit ramps located at US 69 South and at FM 841 (Ford Chapel Road) will be closed starting on Monday, the 22nd, as crews work to resurface the ramps. Work is expected to be completed on the two ramps by Wednesday, Jan. 24, weather permitting.
“These two exit ramps stay extremely busy as motorists access the ramp that leads to Lufkin High School and the ramp at US 69 South where there is a lot of truck traffic at a nearby truck stop,” said Rhonda Oaks, spokesperson for the TxDOT Lufkin District. “We are asking motorists to remain alert to these closures throughout the week of Jan. 22. Prepare ahead as to which route to take. Parents should alert their student drivers that the exit at Ford Chapel will be closed. Alternate routes will have to be taken to access the high school as well as US 69 South.”
Motorists are urged to reduce speed in these areas and prepare for possible delays in peak travel hours. Work schedules are subject to change in inclement weather. Other work planned for the coming week in the nine-county Lufkin District includes:
- US 96: This project to add passing lanes and reconstruct pavement has been placed on vegetative establishment from the Shelby County line to FM 3451.
- SH 87: Work is scheduled to begin to upgrade guardrail to design standards and safety treat fixed objects from SH 7 to SH 147.
- CR 4789: Bridge railing has been placed and approach work is underway at the tributary of Buckwater Creek.
- CR 4620: Crews are preparing the right of way and are scheduled to continue to set a detour bridge at Risinger Creek.
- US 69: Crews continue to clear the right of way on the north and south ends of the future construction project from FM 844 to FM 1270, south of Zavalla.
- US 69: Wing walls are being constructed in the project area that will widen the roadway from two to four lanes from the city limits of Huntington to FM 844.
- SL 287: Crews are working to upgrade metal beam guard rail at Hurricane Creek.
- US 59 North: Final clean-up of this project is being done after resurfacing the roadway from the Angelina River Bridge to just north of FM 2021 in Redland.
- FM 1194: Construction signs are being placed at each end of the project that will widen the paved surface from SL 287 West to FM 3150.
- US 59/SL 224: Removal of old concrete pavement north of SL 224 at the intersection is scheduled to begin mid-week.
- SH 103: Crews are expected to begin work to improve guardrail to design standards from the Angelina County line to the San Augustine County line and on SH 7 from the Angelina County line to BU 59.
- FM 95: This project has been placed on vegetative establishment at Parallel Creek and Dog Creek after new bridges and approaches have been completed.
- FM 1878/LaNana Creek Bridge: Construction of the bridge railing will continue and pavement applications are scheduled on bridge approaches.
- FM 1087: Culvert and cross structure upgrades are underway from US 259 to FM 95.
- SH 21: This project to safety treat fixed objects has been placed on vegetative establishment and cleanup is continuing from SH 147 to FM 1.
- SH 21: Bridge decks and railings for bridge replacements at Venado Creek and Perkins Creek are complete. Crews are scheduled to continue constructing the approaches and placing flex base and cement treatments at both locations.
- SH 21: Embankment is being hauled and crews are preparing to place the deck for the bridge replacement at Niciper Creek.
- FM 705: Drainage work is complete and upgrades to metal beam guard fence is scheduled to be completed this week from SH 147 to the end of pavement.
- US 190: Work to clean up the project is continuing on this project that added passing lanes between the city of Onalaska and FM 2457.
- FM 356: Traffic has been detoured to the new section and crews continue to work on other areas of subgrade, storm sewer drains and cross drainage structures on this project that has reconstructed and widened the pavement with a two-way continuous left turn lane and 10-foot shoulders from 1.1 miles north of US 190 to US 190.
- CR Old Highway 35: The newly constructed bridge and approaches at the tributary of Long King Creek has been placed on vegetative establishment.
- US 59: Crews continue to work to place signage and monitor vegetative establishment on this project that added southbound frontage roads and reconstructed main lanes from just south of the UPRR in Shepherd to just north of FM 2914.
- US 190: Project cleanup is underway on this project to safety treat fixed objects and upgrade metal beam guard fence to design standards from the Walker County line to the Polk County line.
- FM 3128: Crews are scheduled to level up pavement in various locations.
- FM 1127: Work is scheduled to continue removing culverts and placing safety end treatments from US 59 to the end of the pavement.
- Various locations: Work on drainage issues, along with removal of debris, repair signs, delineators and potholes.
- US 287: Crews are scheduled to repair and level pavement in both north and southbound locations inside SL 304.
- SH 21: Crews are setting barricades and preparing to drill at the Trinity River Bridge where the bridge substructure will be repaired. This project will move to SH 7 in coming months for a second phase of repair work on the bridge.
- SH 21 East: Crews are scheduled to extend cross culverts and install safety end treatments at driveways from just south of SL 304 to 2.5 miles south of FM 1733.
- SH 21 West: Base material is being hauled and cement treatments are scheduled on this project west of Crockett that will reconstruct the pavement and add passing lanes from 2.3 miles east of FM 2967 to SH 7.
- FM 3187: Base work and pavement sealing are scheduled from the end of pavement to the intersection of SH 21 East.
- FM 227 East: Ditch rehabilitation is scheduled from Augusta to FM 3016.