January 12, 2018 - Hom/Ade Foods, Inc is voluntarily recalling Mary B’s® brand biscuits due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The problem was discovered in a product sampling conducted by an outside co-packer, who manufactured the product. Listeria monocytogenes is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
The Mary B’s products affected are frozen bagged biscuits with the UPC codes listed below. All “Best If Used By” dates Before September 23, 2018 and with the letter “M” immediately after the date are included in the recall. The code may be found on the back of the bag, lower right corner. No other code dates are affected.
Upc #, Description, Count Per Package
- 2059300007 Mary B’s Jumbo Buttermilk Biscuits, 35oz 10 / 3.5oz
- 2059300015 Mary B’s Buttermilk Biscuits 26.4oz 12 / 2.2oz
- 2059300018 Mary B’s Southernmade Biscuits 26.4oz 12 / 2.2oz
- 2059300020 Mary B’s Buttermilk Value Pack Biscuits 44oz 20 / 2.2oz
- 2059300021 Mary B’s Southernmade Value Pack Biscuits 44oz 20 / 2.2oz
- 2059300022 Mary B’s Buttermilk Tea Biscuits 24oz 24 / 1oz
- 2059300023 Mary B’s Buttertaste Value Pack Biscuits 44oz 20 / 2.2oz
- 2059300028 Mary B’s Thin Buttermilk Biscuits 28.6oz 22 / 1.3oz
- 2059300033 Mary B’s Buttermilk Family Pack Biscuits 60oz 30 / 2oz
- 2059300034 Mary B’s Southernmade Family Pack Biscuits 60oz 30 / 2oz
- 2059300035 Mary B’s Buttertaste Family Pack Biscuits 60oz 30 / 2oz
- 2059383000 Mary B’s Buttermilk 0 Trans Fat 220ct Bulk Biscuits 220 / 2.2oz
- 2059383004 Mary B’s Buttermilk Biscuits 220ct Bulk Biscuits 220 / 2.2oz
- 2059387000 Mary B’s Made With Whole Grain 220ct Bulk Biscuits 220 / 2.2oz
- 3059320583 Mary B’s 3.5 Oz Jumbo Buttermilk 144ct Bulk Biscuits 144 / 3.5oz
Products were distributed to AL, AR, CA, FL, GA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, MO, MS, NC, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WI, WV and sold in retail stores. Although these products are not ready-to-eat items and have baking instructions which, if followed, will reduce consumer risk, there remains some risk that the mishandling of this product prior to or without adequate baking may cause illness.
There has been no illness to date associated with these products. Hom/Ade Foods Inc. has voluntarily recalled all affected products and is working with the FDA and supplier to fix the problem. Consumers are urged to return affected products to the place of purchase for a full refund. Customers or consumers with questions may call Hom/Ade Foods Inc. at 1-855-562-7773, Monday to Friday, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Time.