April 21, 2017 - The Joaquin ISD School Board met Monday, April 17, 2017 in regular session at 6:00 p.m. in the Joaquin Boardroom with the following members present: Chrisco Bragg, Tam Hearnsberger, Thomas Harvey, Jimmy Hamilton, and Jeff Cater. Board members absent were Ronnie Belrose and Bill Mason, Jr.. A guest present was Desere Cooper, Student. Joaquin ISD Employees present were Phil Worsham, Superintendent; Joel Bumback, Director of Finance; Sherry Scruggs, Elementary Principal; Bert Coan, Assistant Elementary Principal; Donna Vergo, Human Resources; Steven McCann, Women’s Athletic Director; Wade Lawson, Men’s Athletic Director; Lynn Silvey, Teacher; Terry Gray, Jr. High Principal; Jimmy Jackson, High School Principal.
Chrisco Bragg, President, called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. The invocation was led by Chrisco Bragg, and the Pledge of Allegiance to the United States of America by Thomas Harvey, and the Pledge of Allegiance to the Texas Flag was led by Jeff Cater.
3. Audience Participation – None
4. Report/Information items:
4.1 High School UIL Academic and Athletic Spotlight
4.2 Review Monthly Financial Reports – Joel Bumback, Director of Finance
4.3 May 6th School Board Election
4.4 TASB Spring Board workshop in Nacogdoches
4.5 District of Innovation Update
5 Agenda Items for discussion, consideration, and possible action:
5.1 It was moved by Tam Hearnsberger, and seconded by Jeff Cater, to approve the previous meetings minutes. Following discussion, a vote was taken on the motion. It carried unanimously.
6. The board entered closed session in accordance with the Texas Open Meetings Act, Texas Government Code Section 551.074 at 6:40 p.m. on April 17, 2017.
6.1 Enter closed session under Texas Government Codes §551.074, §551.127, §551.129 (See Attached Code)
6.1.1 Resignations, hiring and Contracts – Texas Government Code Section 551.077
1. Resignations and Retirements
6.1.2 Teacher Contracts
1. Extension of 1st year probationary contracts to 2nd year
2. Extension of 2nd year probationary contracts to 3rd year
3. Extension of 3rd year probationary contracts to 4th year
4. Extension of 4th year probationary to Term Contract
5. Term Contracts
7. The board entered open session in accordance with the Texas Open Meetings Act at 7:51 p.m. on April 17, 2017. Agenda Items for discussion, consideration, and possible action:
7.1 It was moved by Jimmy Hamilton, and seconded by Thomas Harvey, to confirm the resignation of Christy Brittain. Following discussion, a vote was taken on the motion. It carried unanimously.
7.2 It was moved by Jeff Cater, and seconded by Tam Hearnsberger, to approve contracts for the attached list of Teachers. Following discussion, a vote was taken on the motion. It carried unanimously.
8. Chrisco Bragg, Board President, asked for items to be placed on the next board agenda.
9. Designation of date and time of next meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Joaquin ISD May 15, 2017 at 6:00 p.m.
10. With no further business on the agenda the meeting was adjourned at 7:53 p.m.
2017-2018 Contract Recommendations
2nd Year Probationary Contract - Rachel Bagley, Taylor Barlow, Tracy Bryant
3rd Year Probationary Contract - Heaven Umbrell, Deborah Derbonne
4th Year Probationary Contract - Kathy Brittain, Michael Lawson
Probationary To Term - Madison Jones, Amanda Russell
Term - Lavaunda Adams, Dawn Renee' Alexander, Debra Barr, Sarah Barton, Lisa Barton, Mindy Bragg, Regina Brazzel, Kevin Cates, Kathryn Cockrell, Yesenia Corrales, Billy Cravey, Amanda Freeman, Casey Gamble, April Gates, Amber Graves, Jennifer Groves, Tammy Hamilton, Stephanie Harkness, Tara Harris, Whitney Hooper, Mary Hovey, Trina Hughes, Robin Jackson, Jared Jones, Vera Knight, Mark Lawrence, Lori May, Ann McDaniel, Rondalyn Neal, Carrie Obregon, Rodney Prnka, Ashley Rambin, Angela Shahan, Sharron Shanz, Dana Silvey, Monica Smith, Marilyn Stewart, Kasi Trent, Troy Vance, Shelli Vaughn, Rusty Wilson, Ronnie Wolfe, Ronna Yates