January 14, 2019 - The public is invited to our Texas Historical Marker Dedication Ceremony at Excelsior School on February 23, 2019 at 10am. The Historical marker commemorates what is now Excelsior Independent School District as being the only Common School in Shelby County, Texas remaining out of approximately 90 common schools in the late nineteenth century.
Excelsior serves Pre-K through eighth grade and prepares students for surrounding high schools when they graduate. We are a very small school, but we are big on family and values. Numerous families have seen several generations attend Excelsior and adds to its long heritage. Excelsior School is at the heart of the local community, a community who supports, influences and guarantees stability for the school for generations to come. Excelsior is well known for accepting transfer students from larger surrounding school districts. Sometimes a student needs to be in a smaller environment where innocence is protected. Excelsior offers an education along with kindness and encouragement to all students so they can be the best they can be and take responsibility for the many issues they are facing today.
In conjunction with the dedication of the historical marker, Excelsior will host a school reunion for the first time ever. It seems like only yesterday that we stood pledging allegiance in our class rooms. Time has flown by and it’s hard to believe that we are getting ready to celebrate our long overdue school reunion.
Our program for the day of events is shaping up something like this:
10am - Fellowship in Excelsior Gym – Slide Show
11am - Program begins in Gym
- National Anthem with Excelsior 8th Grade entering with Flags
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Benny Russell – Excelsior School Board President
- Shelby County Judge Allison Harbison
- Colleen Doggett – Shelby County Historical Commission
- Laura Harris – Excelsior Timeline
- Laura Harris - Introduction of some of Excelsior’s earliest Students
- Present day Excelsior Teachers – Alice Howard ~ Mila Smith ~ Alyson Porter
- Benny Russell – Remarks & Recognitions
At this time, we will gather at the front entrance of the school for the unveiling of the marker.
- David Chadwick – Mayor of Center - Historical Commission
- Presentation of the Historical Marker
- Closing Prayer
- Ringing of the bell
- Food Truck available for purchasing lunch
- Tables for lunch in historic, 1916 White Building (formerly class rooms & cafeteria)
- Open Microphone for sharing old memories.
We are hoping for a great turnout and look forward to a spectacular day. Please mark your calendars, and plan to join us all in celebrating this historic day.