July 14, 2017 - Notice is hereby given that a meeting of the governing body of the above named City will be held on the 18th day of July, 2017 at 5:30 pm. at the City Hall, 456 Jacob Street, Timpson, Texas, at which time the following subjects will be considered, to-wit:
1. Call to Order: Mayor Debra Smith
3. Pledge: United States Pledge, Texas Pledge
4. Chamber of Commerce:
5. Council Items: Reports by the members of the City Council on matters not on the agenda will be made at this time. A total, not to exceed 10 minutes will be devoted to these reports.
6. Presentations & Recognition: Charlotte Broadway will be celebrating a birthday on August 12th.
7. Citizens Input: This time is provided for members of the public to address the City Council on items that appear within the Consent and Action Items or a matter not listed on the agenda. Each speaker is limited to 3 minutes. A Citizens Input Form may be filled out and filed with the City Secretary prior to the meeting.
8. Department Reports:
A. Public Works Report: Larry Burns
B. Police Department Report: Kent Graham
C. Municipal Court Report: For the month of June 2017, there were 85 citations issued, 93 violations, 0 to a juvenile and 3 to a minor. Total amount reported$17,775.65, the city’s portion a 55% estimate of $9,776.61.
D. City Secretary: 2017-18 Budget Workshops were held July 6th for Water/Sewer, July 12th for Electric and July 13th for the General Dept. (Police and City Office). At these meetings, the Mayor went over year to date numbers in comparison to the budget numbers for each department. Department Heads then gave a forecast of expenditures for the upcoming budget cycle.
The annual Back to School Event, sponsored by Timpson First Baptist Church will be on August 10th from 4:30-7:00 pm at the Community Building in SoSo Park. Kids (accompanied by an adult) will receive a backpack and school supplies. If you would like to donate any supplies please contact Leslie at 254-2421 or Bro Dee at 254-2220.
On August 5th there will be a trash dumpster on RR Ave beside City Hall. It will be available from 6am until it reaches capacity, so come early. There will also be a recycle dumpster from August 5-11th located by the gazebo on the square.
9. Consent Agenda: Items included under the Consent Agenda require little or no Deliberation by the Council. Approval of the Consent Agenda authorizes the City Secretary to proceed with the conclusion of each item as reflected in the Minutes of this meeting.
A. Consider approval of the minutes of the regular meeting held on June 20th, 2017
B. Consider approval of Financial Statement for the month of June, 2017
C. Consider approval of Accounts Payable – Unpaid bills for June, 2017
D. The Volunteer Fire Department is asking to purchase five (5) new handheld radios. There are also two (2) radios that need new batteries and three (3) need new antennas. The cost will be $1,287.85, attached is a quote from Faith Communications. Prices include programming.
Regular Agenda Items (10 –17)
10. Discuss and possibly take action: Amend the 2016-17 Water Budget to reflect the infrastructure improvements of $51,030. These were the repairs to the storm sewer at Marcus and Pecan, culvert repairs on Holly St, and water line repairs on Timpson and Pine Streets. These were paid for with CD’s from Texas State Bank.
11. Discuss and possibly take action: Set a date to adopt the preliminary Budgets for Water/Sewer, General and Electric Departments for 2017-2018. (Deadline for the proposed budgets must be filed with the Municipal Clerk, Leslie Leathers at least 30 days PRIOR to adopting the City Tax Rate and 2017-18 Final Budget and 15 days PRIOR to the Public Hearing on City Budget.)
12. Discuss and possibly take action: During the council meeting on July 30, 2015, former Mayor Pro Tem Ronnie Wolfe asked that a cap be put on the insurance for City Employees. The motion passed with a 3-2 vote, Wolfe, Baker and Grace in favor and Ramsey and Allen opposed. This item is to remove the cap set forth by the three previous City Council members.
13. Discuss and possibly take action: Review bids and select a contractor to perform the Annual Fire Hydrant Audit. Texas Hydrant Services bid $4,615.00 and Hydra Tec bid $5,575.50.
14. Discuss and possibly take action: Appoint a new Municipal Court Judge due to the passing of James Bogue. There are two (2) applicants, Gerald Mackey and Marilyn Corder.
15. Discuss and possibly take action: Sale by sealed bids for the donated 2008 Crown Vic owned by the Police Department. Mileage is 116,000 and it is currently fully operational. New owner will be expected to take possession within 15 days of purchase. Sealed bids are to be dropped off at City Hall or mailed to PO Box 369. The City reserves the right to reject any and all bids. Bids must be turned in or postmarked by August 7, 2017. Council will either except or reject bids on Aug 15th. Certified funds or cash will be required at time of transfer of property/ownership. Bids under $2,500 will not be considered.
16. Discuss and possibly take action: Get an estimate to replace the transmission on the aerator for the race track at the Waste Water Plant. Also, get an estimate to repair the old transmission to use as a backup.
The Council reserves the right to retire into executive session concerning any of the items listed on this agenda whenever it is considered necessary and is legally justified under the Open Meetings Act.
This facility is wheelchair accessible and wheelchair parking is available. Requests for accommodations or interpretive services must be made 48 hours prior to this meeting. Please contact the City Secretary at 254-2421 for further information or needed assistance.
This agenda is posted as required under Government Code Section 551.041. For more information or for a copy of the open meetings act, please contact the Attorney General of Texas at 1-800-252-8011 or the City Secretary at 936-254-2421.