January 22, 2018 - Timpson Bear Update Additions
THS College Night - Timpson High School is having a College Night on Tuesday, January 23rd in the Timpson High School auditorium. SFASU, Panola, and TSTC are planning on attending. We would like students and parents grades 7th-12th to attend. It is important that students begin planning their pathways. These Institutions of Higher Education will explain the options they will offer our Timpson students while they are still enrolled in high school. The College Night is from 5:30-7:00 PM.
TISD Honors School Board – January is school board appreciation month. The men serving on the Timpson ISD Board of Trustees are President George Duke, Vice President Carlos Johnson, Secretary Justin Timmons, member Stephen Burgay, member Dannie Hunt, member Jim Rader and member Brinson Stewart. The board of trustees has worked with district staff to achieve many accomplishments.
- Construction – A bond election for 9.5 million passed for new construction and improvements in the district including an event center that will include a collegiate center, vocational/technical center, gym weight rooms and dressing rooms. The bond will also pay for an expanded band rehearsal hall, improvements to elementary, sidewalks, digital marquee, new softball field as well as many other improvements.
- Academics – With the board’s support, Timpson ISD is a designated TEA STEM Academy. The dual credit program has doubled in the number of students taking dual credit and vocational technical classes that lead to certifications/licenses. Students have the opportunity to earn an Associate degree before graduating high school.
- Sports - The Lady Bear Volleyball team won 3 games in the State play-offs. They are Bi-District champs, Area champs and Regional Quarterfinal champs. The Timpson Junior High football team had a successful season winning 11 games played out of 12. The Timpson Lady Bears volleyball team are the 2017 District champs. The Varsity Bear football team placed second in district losing only 1 district game and advanced to the State playoff quarterfinals.
- FFA – The FFA Senior Conducting Team won first in district and advanced to Area competition. The FFA Junior Chapter Conducting Team won district and advanced to Area competition.
- Band – The Timpson High School Marching Bear Band placed first in the Area A 2A Marching Band Contest competition with 10 other bands. The band received straight first division ratings in the National Association of Marching Bands (NAMMB). They also received the Bobby Goff award and were named Best Band in 2A. At State competition the band was highest ranking military band.
- THS Twirlers – The THS twirlers made a 1 at contest and will compete at state competition in May.
- Staff – The TISD board of trustees is very proud of the district staff. They continue to train in Response to Intervention, Sharon Wells math, STEM education, using technology in the classroom to provide the best instruction and educational opportunities for the students. Teachers are also actively seeking funding for instructional projects through Donors Choose. The Timpson ISD school board members are proud of the district staff and students and enjoy working in partnership with them to provide the best educational and extra-curricular activities.
Donors Choose - Several people have expressed interest in Donors Choose where several of Timpson ISD teachers have submitted projects to be funded. Parents and community members can go to www.donorschoose.org. Then go to find a project and click on that button. It will be found at the top of the page. Then they type in Timpson, Tx. in the rectangle that says city, state, or zip code. And push search. All the projects that are live for our school will come up on the screen. Parents and community members can scroll through the projects. If and when they find one they would like to donate to, they click on the project itself. There will be a box at the top on the right hand side that ask how much they would like to donate. They type in the amount and click on give. Then they will need to click on the green button that says proceed to checkout. The website will walk the parents and community members on how they would like to pay, either by credit card, gift card, or PayPal. After they checkout, they can send a message to the teacher if they would like. We appreciate all who have contributed to funding these projects that our teachers use to enhance their instruction.
Timpson Elementary School Pre-K teacher Ms. Penny Ramsey is a Teacher Ambassador for Donors Choose. She will continue to submit her own projects as well as help other teachers submit their projects. She will also have access to additional information to help with teachers getting their projects funded. We appreciate Ms. Ramsey for all her help.
Donors Choose News - Congratulations to Timpson Elementary School Pre-K paraprofessional Vicki Hightower whose project was recently funded on Donors Choose. Mrs. Hightower got the following items funded that she uses to help provide instruction in the Pre-K classroom. The district is very appreciative to Donors Choose and to all those individuals and businesses who fund these important projects.