March 9, 2018 - A regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of Center Independent School District (CISD) was held on Thursday, March 8, 2018 beginning at 12:00 p.m. at Center Independent School District Administrative Office Building located at 107 Private Road 605 in Center, Texas 75935.
1. Call Meeting to Order and Establish a Quorum - Matthew Mettauer called the meeting to order at 12:00 p.m. and declared a quorum.
Present: Greg Hubbard; Allison Johnson; Daphne LaRock (arrived at 12:02 p.m.); Casey Lout; Matthew Mettauer; Traci Willoughby; Betty McDaniel, Director of Finance; and James Hockenberry, Superintendent
Absent: John Henry Holloway
Visitors: Teresa Anderson, Special Education Director; Barry Bowman, CISD Athletic Director; Tina Byrnes, Southwest Foodservice Excellence; Lane Dunn, Texas A&M ArgiLife; David Golden, McKinley Golden Architects; Matt Gregory, CHS Principal; Heath Hagler, CIS Principal; Jake Henson, CMS Principal; Inez Hughes, FLM Principal; Shelly Norvell, CES Principal; Dillan Payne, Light & Champion; Linda Snell, Director of Special Programs and Shane Wright, McKinley Golden Architects
2. Invocation and Pledges of Allegiance - Casey Lout led the invocation and Traci Willoughby led the Pledges of Allegiance.
3. Public Comments/Audience Participation - None
4. Consent Agenda - A motion was made by Traci Willoughby, seconded by Casey Lout to approve the consent agenda consisting of the minutes from the regular meeting on February 15, 2018 and Special Meeting – Board Training – Vision and Goal Setting Workshop on February 27, 2018; Tax Office Report (February 2018); Financial Reports (February 2018); Investment Report (February 2018); payment approvals over $50,000 and Overnight Student Activity Trips. The motion carried 6-0.
5. Consideration to Approve the Adjunct Faculty Agreement with Texas A&M and Shelby County AgriLife Extension Service - A motion was made by Traci Willoughby, seconded by Daphne LaRock to approve the annual adjunct faculty agreement with Texas A&M and Shelby County AgriLife Extension Service. The motion carried 6-0.
6. Consideration to Approve Resolution for the Shelby County 4-H Organization to be Sanctioned as an Extracurricular Activity - A motion was made by Traci Willoughby, seconded by Daphne LaRock to approve the resolution for the Shelby County 4-H Organization to be sanctioned as an extracurricular activity. The motion carried 6-0.
7. Consideration and Approval to Certify the Superintendent, James Hockenberry, to the Region 7 Regional Advisory Committee 2018-2019 - A motion was made by Casey Lout, seconded by Traci Willoughby to certify the Superintendent, James Hockenberry, to the Region 7 Regional Advisory Committee 2018- 2019. The motion carried 6-0.
8. Consideration to Approve Resolution Regarding Wage Payments during Emergency Closing of CISD - A motion was made by Casey Lout, seconded by Allison Johnson to approve the resolution regarding wage payments during the emergency closing of Center Independent School District for Wednesday, February 14, 2018, Thursday, February 15, 2018, Friday, February 16, 2018 and Monday, February 19, 2018. The motion carried 6-0.
9. Review and Discussion of 2018-2019 Vision and Goals Draft Document - The Board reviewed the draft version of the Vision Statements, District Goals and Evidence of Attainment from their Board training. The Board determined an additional workshop is needed to finalize the vision statement, goals, and evidence of attainment.
10. Discussion of Southwest Foodservice Excellence Contract Terms - The Board was made aware of negotiations to finalize and close out the 2016-2017 financial terms as per the contract with Southwest Foodservice Excellence.
11. Discussion and Preparation to Establish Voter Information Meetings for Bond Election - A voter information pamphlet has been created for distribution and discussions centering around the May 5, 2018 bond election. The District will make itself available to all civic and community organizations. Furthermore, CISD will host at least two Town Hall meetings.
12. Review and Discussion of the Campus Literacy Data - The mid-year academic literacy DRA report for CHS as well as the disaggregation of data for all subpopulations of each campus was presented. The students and staff were commended by the Board for effort and diligence to improve literacy across all grade levels.
13. Presentation of CISD Athletic Program Improvement Plan - Coach Bowman outlined the CISD Athletic Program Improvement Plan with an emphasis being placed on middle school and overall girls athletic program.
Greg Hubbard left the meeting at 1:15 p.m.
14. Consideration to Approve Job Descriptions - The Board reviewed potential changes the Lead Teacher job description. A motion was made by Allison Johnson, seconded by Casey Lout to approve the change in title from Lead Teacher to Academic Coordinator and change the compensation to professional pay grade 3. The motion carried 5-0.
15. Distribution of TASB Policy Update 107 - Each member of the Board received a copy of the TASB Policy Update 110 (affecting Local policies).
16. Closed Session - Matthew Mettauer called for a closed session at 1:22 p.m. under Texas Government Code §551.074 for consideration of employment of contracted personnel, terminate probationary contracts, contract renewals for Administrators, teachers and certified support staff, resignation/retirement and extended emergency sick leave.
Greg Hubbard returned at 1:32 p.m.
17. Open Session - The Board returned into open session at 2:23 p.m. No action was taken in closed session.
17.1 District Employees and Officers: Texas Government Code §551.071 and §551.074
17.1.1 There were no resignations/retirements to be considered by the Board.
17.1.2 There were no employment of personnel to be considered by the Board.
17.1.3 There were no extended emergency sick leave to be considered by the Board.
18. Adjournment - A motion was made by Traci Willoughby, seconded by Allison Johnson to adjourn the meeting at 2:26 p.m. The motion carried 6-0.