August 10, 2017 - A regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of Center Independent School District (CISD) was held on Tuesday, August 8, 2017 beginning at 12pm at Center High School Agriculture Science Building located at 658 Roughrider Drive in Center, Texas 75935.
1. Call Meeting to Order and Establish a Quorum - John Henry Holloway called the meeting to order at 12pm and declared a quorum. Present were John Henry Holloway; Allison Johnson; Daphne LaRock; Casey Lout; Matthew Mettauer; Traci Willoughby, Betty McDaniel, Director of Finance and James Hockenberry, Superintendent. None were absent. Visitors were Matthew Gregory, CHS Principal; Heath Hagler, CIS Principal; Jake Henson, CMS Principal; Inez Hughes, FLM Principal; Shelly Norvell, CES Principal; Teresa Richard, Director of Instruction and RTI; Ashley Richey, CHS Agriculture Teacher; Linda Snell, Director of Special Programs; Kevin Swor, CHS Agriculture Teacher; Susan Watkins, Light and Champion and Mickey Wulf, Director of Special Education.
2. Invocation and Pledges of Allegiance - Makayla Mayo gave the invocation and Maddie Russell led the Pledges of Allegiance.
3. Public Comments/Audience Participation - None
4. Budget Workshop - The first draft of the 2017-2018 budget was presented and discussed.
5. Consider Approval of Notice of Public Meeting to Discuss Budget and Proposed Tax Rate - A motion was made by Matthew Mettauer, seconded by Daphne LaRock to approve the notice of public meeting to discuss budget and proposed tax rate on August 31, 2017 at 12:00 p.m.
The motion reads: “I move that the Board of Trustees of Center ISD approve the Notice of Public Meeting to discuss the 2017-2018 budget and proposed tax rate. The meeting will be held at 12:00 noon on Thursday, August 31, 2017 at the Center ISD Administration Office. The proposed Operating budget is $22,917,867. The proposed Interest and Sinking (I&S) budget is $1,237,400. The proposed Maintenance & Operation (M&O) tax rate of $1.1700 and the proposed I&S tax rate of $.1638 for a total tax rate of $1.3338. The motion carried 6-0.
6. Consent Agenda - A motion was made by Traci Willoughby, seconded by Matthew Mettauer to approve the consent agenda consisting of the minutes from the regular meeting on July 27, 2017, the 2016-2017 School Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) Report and the budget amendments. The motion carried 6-0.
7. Appoint Delegate and Alternate Delegate TASA/TASB Conference 2017 - Allison Johnson was appointed as the delegate and Traci Willoughby as the alternate delegate for the upcoming TASA/TASB Conference 2017.
8. Order Board of Trustees Special Election on November 7, 2017 - A motion was made by Matthew Mettauer, seconded by Traci Willoughby to order a Special Board Trustees election on November 7, 2017. The motion carried 6-0.
9. Review and Discussion of the 2016-2017 State Accountability Results - The 2016-2017 state accountability ratings were presented.
10. Closed Session - John Henry Holloway called for a closed session at 12:23 p.m. under Texas Government Code §551.074 and §551.072 for consideration of employment of contracted personnel, resignation/retirement, extended emergency sick leave and compensation and benefits.
11. Open Session - The Board returned into open session at 12:58 p.m. No action was taken in closed session.
11.1 District Employees and Officers: Texas Government Code §551.074
11.1.1 No action required by the Board as the Superintendent was granted contractual authority on June 1, 2017.
11.1.2 No action required by the Board as the Superintendent was granted contractual authority on June 1, 2017.
11.1.3 There were no extended emergency sick leaves to be considered by the Board.
11.14 A motion was made by Matthew Mettauer, seconded by Daphne LaRock to approve the 2017-2018 compensation increases as recommended by the Superintendent. The motion carried 6-0.
13. Adjournment - A motion was made by Traci Willoughby, seconded by Daphne LaRock to adjourn the meeting at 12:59 p.m. The motion carried 6-0.