October 16, 2017 - A regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of Center Independent School District (CISD) was held on Thursday, October 12, 2017 beginning at 12:00 p.m. at Center Independent School District Administrative Office Building located at 107 Private Road 605 in Center, Texas 75935.
1. Call Meeting to Order and Establish a Quorum
John Henry Holloway called the meeting to order at 12:01 p.m. and declared a quorum.
Present: John Henry Holloway; Allison Johnson; Daphne LaRock; Casey Lout; Matthew Mettauer; Traci Willoughby, Betty McDaniel, Director of Finance and James Hockenberry, Superintendent
Visitors: Teresa Anderson, Director of Special Education; Randy Collard; Shannon Denby; Matthew Gregory, CHS Principal; Heath Hagler, CIS Principal; Jake Henson, CMS Principal; Inez Hughes, FLM Principal; Jimmie Johnston, Southwest Foodservice Excellence; Pete Low, CISD Police Chief; Shelly Norvell, CES Principal; Teresa Richard, Director of Instruction and RTI; Linda Snell, Director of Special Programs and Greg Stuever
2. Invocation and Pledges of Allegiance - Casey Lout gave the invocation and Allison Johnson led the Pledges of Allegiance.
3. Public Hearing on “First Report” - A public hearing on the Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas (FIRST) report was held. Center ISD received a perfect score and a “Superior” rating for the 2015-2016 school year.
4. Public Comments/Audience Participation - None
5. Consent Agenda - A motion was made by Matthew Mettauer, seconded by Allison Johnson to approve the consent agenda consisting of the minutes from the regular meeting on September 14, 2017, the minutes from the special called meeting on September 20, 2017, the Tax Collection Report (September 2017); Financial Reports (September 2017); Investment Report (September 2017); payment approval over $50,000, 2014-2017 District Safety Audit and Overnight Student Activity Trips. The motion carried 6-0.
6. Appointment of CISD Representatives to the Shelby County Appraisal district Board of Directors - A motion was made by John Henry Holloway, seconded by Allison Johnson to appoint Matthew Mettauer and Traci Willoughby to the Shelby County Appraisal District Board of Directors for the 2018-2019 year. The motion carried 6-0.
7. Facility Projects Update - Dr. Hockenberry presented the facility projects update for the District.
8. Appointment of 2017-2018 Facility Review Committee - A motion was made by John Henry Holloway, seconded by Traci Willoughby to appoint Matthew Mettauer, Daphne LaRock and Casey Lout to the Facility Review Committee. The motion carried 6-0.
9. Review Beginning of Year and Baseline Academic Data - The Board received the beginning of the year and baseline academic data.
10. Reading Specialist Program Update - Dr. Hockenberry presented a summary of the activity and direction of the Reading Specialist Program at CES, CIS AND CMS. The principals of each campus assisted with the report.
11. Closed Session - John Henry Holloway called for a closed session at 12:32 p.m. under Texas Government Code §551.074 and §551.072 for consideration of resignation/retirement, employment of contracted personnel, extended emergency sick leave and Superintendent’s contract.
12. Open Session - The Board returned into open session at 1:32 p.m. No action was taken in closed session.
12.1 District Employees and Officers: Texas Government Code §551.074
12.1.1 A motion was made by Allison Johnson, seconded by Traci Willoughby to accept the resignation/retirement as recommended by Superintendent Hockenberry.
Amy Sanford, CMS Teacher – resignation
The motion carried 6-0.
12.1.2 There were no employment of contracted personnel to be considered by the Board.
12.1.3 There were no extended emergency sick leaves to be considered by the Board.
12.1.4 Matthew Mettauer made a motion, seconded by Allison Johnson to hold a meeting to comply with language outlined in the contract of the Superintendent stating that the Board of Trustees shall devote a portion or all of one meeting, at least annually, to a discussion of the working relationship between the Superintendent and the Board. The motion carried 6-0.
13. Adjournment - A motion was made by Traci Willoughby, seconded by Daphne LaRock to adjourn the meeting at 1:37 p.m. The motion carried 6-0.