September 10, 2018 – As summer draws to an end, the Lufkin District is working in all nine counties to complete construction and maintenance projects and to begin new ones.
Motorists who drive in or near work zones are urged to reduce speed, stay alert to workers and moving equipment and obey all traffic control devices.
“We have dozens of work zones set up each day throughout our district,” said Rhonda Oaks, public information officer for the Lufkin District. “Some of them are completed within a day’s work while others are set up for months at a time for major construction projects. We want everyone to respect our work areas so we all get home safely.”
For current road closures and information statewide, visit drivetexas.org. All work schedules are subject to change in inclement weather. Project updates and work planned for the week of Sept. 10-14 include:
- US 96: Mill and inlay road repairs are scheduled from US 84 to SH 87. This is a slow-moving work zone with flaggers and alternating lane closures.
- SH 87: Work is scheduled to continue to upgrade metal beam guard fence and safety treat fixed objects from SH 7 to SH 147; and on FM 83 from the San Augustine County line to FM 1. There will be alternating lane closures with flaggers directing traffic.
- CR 4789: Crews are working to form abutments for the bridge replacement at the tributary of Blackwater Creek.
- US 69 South/FM 326: Crews are scheduled to activate the newly completed traffic signal at this intersection on Tuesday. Signage and warning lights are in place on the north and south side of US 69 ahead of the intersection alerting drivers to the signal.
- US 59 South: Crews will be working again during nighttime hours between Lufkin and Diboll to continue to repair concrete joints and base failures. The project is designed to resurface the roadway between Whitehouse Drive to just south of FM 2497. Motorists should be alert to a reduced speed limit through the work area.
- US 69 South: Work continues from FM 844, south of Huntington, to FM 1270 in Zavalla to widen the existing two-lane roadway to a four-lane divided highway. Crews will continue to set silt fence through the northern section of the project as well as in Zavalla. Dirt work continues and crews will begin laying culverts beneath the roadway and at driveways. Bridge crews are scheduled to begin drilling shafts for the ramp bridges in Zavalla. Stay alert for alternating closures and/or slow-moving traffic through this 11-mile work zone.
- Robinson Road: Crews will begin setting barricades for a bridge replacement project at Gilliland Creek that will begin on Sept. 17. The roadway, located just outside Huntington, will be open only to local traffic during construction.
- Various locations: Crews are scheduled for sweeping, ditch maintenance, pothole patching and herbicide applications.
- FM 2713: Work is scheduled to widen the pavement from FM 2112 to SH 7. Motorists should expect lane closures. Pilot car is in use to guide drivers through the work area.
- FM 226: Crews are scheduled to continue to upgrade and safety treat fixed objects from SH 21 to the end of pavement. Daily lane closures expected.
- FM 1638: Work will continue to safety treat fixed objects from FM 698 to US 59/SL 224. Daily lane closures expected.
- FM 350 North: Crews are working to improve guardrail to design standards and safety treat fixed objects. This project includes various locations on FM 350, FM 1725, FM 2610, FM 2665 and FM 3277. Motorists should prepare for lane closures.
- Various locations: Crews will be working to repair signs, fill potholes and repair edges.
- SH 21: Crews will begin setting barricades this week for a construction project that will reconstruct pavement and add passing lanes, improve guardrail to design standards and safety treat fixed objects from FM 1280 to the Madison County line. Alternating lane closures and delays expected.
- FM 232: Crews are scheduled to level up edges and repair base failures. Lane closures expected.
- CR 2245: Crews are scheduled to begin removing the bridge at Big Elkhart Creek on this project designed to replace the bridge and approaches.
- Various locations: Work is scheduled to apply herbicide, patch potholes and repair signs.
SAN AUGUSTINE COUNTY
- SH 21: Crews are scheduled to apply striping at Venado Creek and Perkins Creek where bridges and approaches have been replaced.
- SH 21: Work is scheduled to remove the bridge structure at Niciper Creek where the bridge and approaches are being replaced.
- FM 711: Crews are hauling flex base on this project designed to reconstruct and widen the surface from the Shelby County line to US 96.
- FM 1277: Crews are scheduled to do base repairs in various locations. Lane closures are possible.
- FM 3315: Base repairs are scheduled. Lane closures expected.
- FM 355: Crews are scheduled to repair edges and base failures.
SAN JACINTO COUNTY
- US 59: Crews will continue to upgrade guardrail to design standards and safety treat fixed objects in various locations.
- FM 946 North: Crews are scheduled to level up edges and repair base. Lane closures are expected.
- Various locations: Crews will work on various issues including pothole repairs, washouts, sign maintenance and mailbox repairs.
- Various locations: Striping will be placed in various locations. This is a slow moving work zone. Motorists should prepare for delays and/or lane closures.
For more information, contact Rhonda.Oaks@txdot.gov or (936) 633-4395.