April 21, 2021 - Maison Davis took home the Wharton Breakaway title this past weekend as she paced the Panola College Women's team to a fourth-place finish. Teammate Abbie Muckelroy got 8th in the barrel racing to add to the team's points. The women's team has made a late move to move up in the standings to 5th in the team race for the CNFR. The top two teams in the Southern Region will qualify for the CNFR.
The defending National Champion Rodeo Team, the Panola Men's Team, took second in this past weekend's rodeo hosted by Wharton County Jr. College. The Men's Team has solidified the number one spot in the Southern Region with over 1100-point lead. They have led the Southern Region all year in the standings and are looking forward to defending the National Championship at the CNFR.
There were 6 of the men that placed this weekend for Panola as they finished just 4.5 points out of the winning. Thomas Wallace and Gauge McBride both placed in two different events this weekend. Wallace won 2nd in the steer wrestling and 6th in the tie down. On the other end of the arena McBride placed 3rd in the saddle bronc and 7th in the bareback riding.
Macon Murphy took 2nd in the Tie Down roping as he brought home a paycheck and points for Panola. Miguel Pena and Kaul Runfola wound out the points as they were 5th and 6th in the saddle bronc riding this weekend.
The Panola Rodeo Team will finish up the regular season circuit at McNeese State University Rodeo next week, April 29-30 in Lake Charles.
Standings as of April 19, 2021
Men's Team (Place, College/Contestant, Total Points)
1. Panola College: 4,174.50
2. Hill College: 3,056.50
3. Sam Houston State University: 2,413.00
4. Texas A&M University-Commerce: 2,391.50
5. McNeese State University: 2,248.82
6. Wharton Cnty Junior College: 1,922.66
7. Trinity Valley Community College: 1,894.00
8. Southwest Texas Junior College: 1,649.50
9. Texas A&M University: 1,497.16
10. Northeast Texas Community College: 158.00
11. Stephen F Austin State University: 22.50
Women's Team (Place, College/Contestant, Total Points)
1. McNeese State University:1,931.00
2. Sam Houston State University: 1,467.16
3. Southwest Texas Junior College: 1,274.00
4. Texas A&M University: 1,139.50
5. Panola College: 935.16
6. Wharton Cnty Junior College: 927.16
7. Hill College: 895.00
8. Texas A&M University-Commerce: 891.83
9. Trinity Valley Community College: 288.33
10. Stephen F Austin State University: 74.50
11. Northeast Texas Community College: 69.50