April 29, 2021 - Stephen F. Austin State University will hold seven commencement ceremonies for May 2021 to accommodate measures aimed at ensuring attendee safety.
May and August 2020 graduates are invited to participate in the May ceremony, and seating in the Johnson Coliseum will be adjusted to help ensure physical distancing. All attendees will be required to wear face masks.
Graduates and their guests must present tickets to enter Johnson Coliseum. Tickets are free but will help university officials ensure the venue is not overcrowded and that adequate spacing can be maintained during the event. Each graduate will be allotted one ticket for themselves and a maximum of six guest tickets for their respective ceremony.
Candidates from the following schools and departments will participate in a ceremony on Friday, May 7:
- 1 p.m., the Department of Human Services and Educational Leadership and the 2020 May and August graduates, with Dr. Nina Ellis-Hervey as speaker
- 4 p.m., the Department of Education Studies and the College of Forestry and Agriculture, with Dr. Steve Bullard as speaker
- 7 p.m., the School of Human Sciences and the Department of Kinesiology and Health Science, with Dr. Rachel Jumper as speaker
Candidates from the following schools and departments will participate in a ceremony on Saturday, May 8:
- 9 a.m., the College of Business, with Mike Parham as speaker
- Noon, the College of Fine Arts and the School of Social Work, with Dr. Sam Copeland as speaker
- 3 p.m., the College of Liberal and Applied Arts, with Dr. Troy Davis as speaker
- 6 p.m., the College of Sciences and Mathematics, with Dr. Roy Joe Harris as speaker
Degrees to be awarded include 1,286 bachelor’s, 295 master’s and four doctoral degrees. Approximately 500 students will graduate with honors, including 168 cum laude, 140 magna cum laude and 187 summa cum laude. Sixty-five will graduate with the university scholar designation.
All ceremonies will be livestreamed on the SFA Facebook page, facebook.com/sfasu. For more information, visit sfasu.edu/commencement.