April 13, 2016 - Timpson ISD Bear Update
Vocational/Technical Agriculture Facility
Timpson ISD will have a bond election Saturday, May 7, 2016 from 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. in the Timpson High School gym foyer. Early voting will be Monday, April 25, 2016 from 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at the Timpson ISD Administration Building. One of the planned projects to be built with bond funds is a new vocational/technical agriculture building. The current Ag building was built in the 1960’s and lacks adequate space. The new building would provide the space and equipment needed to offer not only the traditional Ag classes but would also allow Timpson High School to offer certification and technology courses which will allow students to be trained, certified and job ready upon high school graduation. Four classrooms will be a part of the new building. Possibly two will be technology classrooms to be used for teaching technology classes including those that will lead to certification in fields such as Microsoft. Depending upon the need and how the bids come in, it could be possible that the family consumer science classes could meet in these new classrooms. The additional space in the proposed vocational/technical agriculture building will allow for proper storage of all equipment and allow students to work at the same time on a variety of projects including larger ones such as trailers. The amount of the bond is $9,500,000.00. This amount maximizes state facilities funding. This state facilities funding gives Timpson ISD the opportunity for approximately 43% of the payment of the bond to be paid for by the State under our current values and enrollment. If the bond is not approved, the school will lose the opportunity to receive millions of dollars of state funding toward facilities construction. Timpson ISD facilities will not receive significant upgrades under current funding levels.
District UIL Academic Contest
Timpson High School recently competed in the District UIL Academic contest. Below is a list of students who competed and placed in district. Also see the results of the LD Contest below. Timpson High School has several students who advanced to the Regional contest to be held April 22-23 at the Panola College in Center.
District UIL Academics Results
- Calculator Applications – Tyler Morris: 1st place (Reg. Qualifier), Jose Mejia: 2nd place (Reg. Qualifier), and Connor Timmons: 3rd place (Reg. Qualifier)
Calculator Applications – 1st Place Team (Team Reg. Qualifier) - Tyler Morris, Jose Mejia, Connor Timmons, and Jacob Searcy
- Current Issues – Blake Johnson: 1st place (Reg. Qualifier), Edgar Vargas: 3rd place (Reg. Qualifier), and Sheldon Scroggins: 5th place
Current Issues – 1st Place Team (Team Reg. Qualifier) - Blake Johnson, Edgar Vargas, Sheldon Scroggins and Chandler Burgay
- Editorial Writing – Cheryl Gossett: 6th place
- Feature Writing – Edgar Vargas: 6th place
- Headline Writing – Gauge Sample: 6th place
- Informative Speaking – Sheldon Scroggins: 4th place (alt. Reg. Qualifier)
- Literary Criticism – Mamie Clifton: 6th place
- Mathematics – Connor Timmons: 2nd place (Reg. Qualifier)
- Number Sense – Connor Timmons: 6th place
- Persuasive Speaking – Jamie Moore: 4th place (alt. Reg. Qualifier), Hayden Ramsey: 6th place
- Poetry Interpretation – Molly Sanford: 2nd place (Reg. Qualifier)
- Prose Interpretation – Bethany Lindgren: 1st place (Reg. Qualifier)
- Science – Devin Kimzey: 6th place
- Chemistry Top Scorer: Madilyn Ramsey (Reg. Qualifier)
- Social Studies – Blake Johnson: 3rd place (Reg. Qualifier)
- Spelling & Vocabulary – Sara Duke: 4th place (alt. Reg. Qualifier)
- The LD Contest – Ty Cauthen Coach, 1st place team - Sheldon Scroggins: 3rd place (Regional Qualifier), Jamie Moore: 4th place, Bill Belrose: 5th place
THS Golf News (Submitted by Josh Jourden)
On Monday and Tuesday Dustin Pledger competed in the Regional Golf Tournament in Corsicana. After a score of 85 on the first day Dustin was sitting in 6th place in the medalist division. Dustin went to the practice range Monday evening and spent several hours working on his swing. That work paid off on Tuesday when Dustin improved his score and turned in a 79 for his final round. That score was good enough to move Dustin into a 3-way tie for the 3rd and final spot to advance to the state tournament. Unfortunately, after a bogie on the 2nd playoff hole, Dustin finished one spot away from advancing to state. We are very proud of Dustin, his improvement, and his willingness to get better. Congratulations Dustin and we look forward to next golf season!
Scholarship Opportunity (Submitted by Charlotte Metcalf)
Excelsior PTO has shared a new scholarship available to Timpson High School seniors! In order to be eligible, a student must have attended Excelsior ISD in 6th, 7th, or 8th grade. Please see Mr. Richardson or Mrs. Metcalf for applications.
Texas A&M Admissions Representative
Texas A&M admissions representative, Derek Nido, visited with several Timpson High School juniors Monday afternoon. Mr. Nido shared information pertaining to admissions, majors and campus activities. Important deadlines will approach quickly next fall. Please feel free to visit with THS Counselor, Mrs. Metcalf if you have any questions concerning the college application process.