April 5, 2016 - Timpson ISD Bear Update
TES Second Grade News
At Timpson Elementary School recently, Mrs. Iles’ second graders participated in Reader’s Theater. Reader’s Theater is a dramatic presentation of a written work in a script form. The students read from a script as they learned about the different parts of dialogue and practiced fluency. They were divided into two groups, and each group got to practice their reader’s theater script and perform it in front of the class. The first group performed Chicken Little and the second group performed Jack and the Beanstalk. They also made masks and decorated them to wear during their performance.
THS Baseball News (Submitted by Coach Billy Bryant)
On Friday, April 1, Beckville defeated Timpson 5-3. Blake Johnson had 2 RBI, and Hunter Smith pitched a complete game.
THS Band /Booster News
The THS Band Boosters will be setting up a small concession stand for the remaining HOME softball games. Please support the band by purchasing your refreshments from us. We will have drinks, chips, and a few other snacks. As always, thank you for your continued support of the THS BEAR Band.
Band Hall Expansion
One of the proposed projects of the Timpson ISD bond election will be to expand and renovate the TISD band hall. Challenges that the district faces using the current band hall built in 1987 is that it was designed to accommodate approximately 50 students. There are approximately 70 students in the main band this year with an anticipated increase for next year. Other challenges in the current band hall include lack of space to store instruments, lack of space for each of the two band directors to have a rehearsal space, inadequate number of practice rooms and lack of space for practice sectionals. Expansion of the band hall will include increasing the number of square feet in the main band hall and creating a concert room which will provide a space for both band teachers to rehearse students and will eliminate the current practice of having to use the gym foyer and other spaces for band rehearsal. Additional instrument storage will be added to store instruments currently having to be left out in the open band hall. This will protect the expensive instruments from potential damage and theft. Additional practice rooms will be added so that students can practice their individual music without disturbing other students in the main band hall. Timpson ISD and the community take great pride in the band and its winning tradition. The expansion and renovation to the band hall will ensure that band students now and in the future will have the space needed to continue the band’s outstanding tradition.
Important Timpson FFA Dates:
- April 6th - Soil and Water Conservation District Contest - Attoyac Farms, Chireno, TX -
- April 12th - Area IX Career Development Event - Huntsville, TX - State Qualifying Contests
- April 13th - Area IX Vet Tech Career Development Event - Tarleton State University - Stephenville, TX State Qualifying Contest
- April 15th - Area IX Wool Judging Career Development Event - Texas A&M University - State Qualifying Contest
- April 18th - Pineywoods District Convention - Degree Check, Scholarship Check, Talent and Public Speaking
- April 21st - State Land and Environmental Natural Resource Career Development Event - Tarleton State University
- April 23rd - State Horse and Wool Career Development Event - Texas Tech University - Lubbock, TX
- April 24th - Texas FFA Scholarships are due to Area Coordinator in Huntsville, TX
- April 25th - Area IX Degree Check and Texas FFA Scholarship Interviews - Region 6 Service Center, Huntsville, TX
- April 27th - State Forestry Career Development Event - Nacogdoches, TX
- April 29th - State Ag. Mechanics, Forages and Nursery Landscape Career Development Event - Huntsville, TX
- April 30th - State Vet/Tech, Livestock and Poultry Judging Career Development Event - Texas A&M University
- May 2nd & 3rd - Timpson FFA Officer Elections
- May 10th - Timpson FFA Banquet
Parent Pick Up
Timpson ISD will have a bond election Saturday, May 7th along with the trustee election. One of the important areas the bond will impact is improving the safety of the parent pick up line in front of Timpson Elementary School. Currently both the bus line pick up and parent pick up are in the same place. This causes congestion, long parent pick-up lines and student safety issues when students cross the bus lanes. The bond will allow the district to move the buses for pickup and drop off to another place on campus and having only parent drop off and pick up in front of the elementary school. This will relieve long parent pick-up lines, congest2ndion and student safety concerns. The Timpson ISD bond election is Saturday May 7th in the Timpson ISD gym foyer. Early voting will begin Monday, April 25th in the TISD Boardroom in the Administration building.