May 11, 2018 - Construction projects and maintenance work planned for the nine-county Lufkin District for the coming week includes many lane closures, detours and moving work zones. Motorists should use extreme caution when driving near a work zone or around workers who are near the lane of traffic. If flaggers are present or a lead car is working to guide traffic through a work zone, motorists should be prepared for delays and respect and obey all signage for safe conditions. Remember, traffic fines double when workers are present.
“We are very busy in the Lufkin District and we want motorists to be especially careful when they approach a work zone,” said Rhonda Oaks, spokesperson for the Lufkin District. “I can’t stress enough to slow down and be alert to what is going on. Watch for flaggers who might direct vehicles through the area or maybe stopping vehicles to wait for a lead car. Pay attention to all signage and speed limits as you approach a work area.”
For information regarding closures and work statewide, visit drivetexas.org. Work schedules for the coming week in the Lufkin District includes:
- US 69: Work is scheduled to continue applying a thin overlay mixture in north and southbound lanes of traffic near Huntington on this project that is designed to resurface the roadway from just north of FM 841 to 1.2 miles south of FM 1669. Be prepared for delays during peak travel hours.
- US 69: Work is planned to continue right of way clearing at the north and south ends of the project that is designed for future construction from FM 844 to FM 1270. Motorists should expect smoke in the area and use caution.
- US 69: Work continues to excavate the ditch and prepare the right of way on the right side of the roadway. Crews will be placing top soil and hauling excavated material on this project designed to widen the roadway from two to four lanes from the Huntington city limits to FM 844.
- US 59 South: Work is scheduled to continue mill and inlay operations in the city of Diboll in northbound lanes. Motorists should expect lane closures and delays.
- BU 59: Mill and inlay work is scheduled on Timberland Drive. Lane closures expected.
- FM 842: Base repairs are scheduled in various locations.
- FM 2109: Base repairs are scheduled in various locations.
- Various locations: Herbicide treatments, pothole repairs and sign repairs are scheduled in various locations.
- SH 21: Work continues to improve guardrail to design standards and safety treat fixed objects from SH 7 to the San Augustine County line. Motorists should expect daily lane closures. A pilot car is in place to guide motorists.
- SH 103: Crews are upgrading metal beam guard fence to design standards from Angelina County to the San Augustine County line. Daily lane closures expected.
- FM 343: This project is being monitored for vegetative establishment from the Cherokee County line to FM 225 after the pavement was reconstructed and widened.
- FM 1087: Barricades have been removed and the project is being monitored for vegetative establishment on this project to safety treat fixed objects.
- FM 95: Traffic will be switched to the detour bridge as crews begin demolishing the old bridge and constructing a replacement over Terrapin Creek.
- FM 1878: Cleanup work is being done on this bridge replacement project at LaNana Creek.
- FM 356: Hot mix applications are underway from 1.1 miles north of US 190 to US 190 where the pavement has been reconstructed and widened with a continuous two-way left turn lane and 10-foot shoulders. Motorists should expect daily lane closures.
- FM 1316: Crews are completing work to place profile edgeline markings from SH 146 to WD Boyce Road.
- US 287 North: Crews will work to level up the roadway at Happy Holler.
- SH 21: Crews will continue to place concrete on the east side of the bridge over the Trinity River on this bridge foundation repair project. The work is off the roadway, but motorists should use caution and stay alert to workers and equipment in the area.
- SH 21 West: Work continues to remove old concrete pavement through this project west of Crockett. Temporary traffic signals are in place allowing for one-way traffic in the work area. This project is designed to reconstruct pavement and add passing lanes from 2.3 miles east of FM 2967 to SH 7. Expect detours and lane closures.
- SH 7 East: Crews will work on ditch maintenance in the Beria Community.
- FM 227: Work is scheduled to install guardrail at San Pedro Creek. One lane of bridge traffic will be allowed. Motorists should expect a mobile traffic signal directing traffic flow across the bridge for the remainder of the project.
- FM 357: Work is continuing to extend cross structures from SH 7 to the Trinity County line in this project to safety treat fixed objects.
- FM 3187: Crews will repair road base, level and spot seal from SH 21 East to the end of pavement.
- FM 227: Work is scheduled to repair base and level the roadway from Ratcliff to SH 21 East.
- FM 2967: Crews will work to repair base and spot seal from SH 21 West to FM 132.
- Loop 304: Work is scheduled to spot seal the roadway from the railroad overpass to FM 229 and perform ditch maintenance from SH 7 West to FM 2110.
San Jacinto County
- US 59: Crews are completing signage through the project and monitoring vegetation from just south of the Union Pacific Railroad in Shepherd to just north of FM 2914. This project has added a southbound frontage road and reconstructed main lanes of travel.
- FM 1127: Crews will continue to safety treat fixed objects and upgrade metal beam guard fence to design standards from US 59 to the end of pavement.
- Various locations: Crews are adding grating at curb ramps that have been constructed within the city of Coldspring.
- US 96: Crews have begun a resurfacing project and are scheduled to mill the existing pavement between the cities of Tenaha and Center. Motorists should expect daily lane closures and reduce speed in the area.
- SH 87: Crews will continue to install driveway pipe on this project designed to improve and upgrade guardrail to design standards and safety treat fixed objects from SH 7 to SH 147.
- CR 4293: Crews are preparing the right of way for the bridge replacement at Chicken Bayou.
- CR 4620: Work continues on the detour bridge along with right of way work at the bridge replacement site over Risinger Creek.
San Augustine County
- SH 21: The subgrade is being cement treated at this bridge replacement project over Niciper Creek.
- SH 87: Work is scheduled to repair road base in various locations.
- FM 711: Crews are mixing cement and new flexible base material on this project designed to reconstruct and widen pavement from the Shelby County line to US 96. Daily lane closures expected.
- SH 21: Crews will work to repair road base, level and perform shoulder edging east of Milam.
- FM 357: Work is scheduled to continue to upgrade and safety treat fixed objects from Apple Springs to FM 2262.
For more information, contact Rhonda.Oaks@txdot.gov or (936) 633-4395.