Week of October 26-30
October 26, 2015 - The nine-county Lufkin District is busy completing projects as well as continuing other major improvements on many roadways throughout the district.
Motorists have seen changes daily in the $58 million construction project on SL 287 at US 59. Webber, contractor for the project, will hang beams over the east and westbound main lanes in coming days, weather permitting. The work will be scheduled during night hours and announcements will be made once the time is determined.
In the coming week, motorists will also see concrete being poured for islands and retaining walls through the project. In addition, high mast lighting work off the eastbound main lanes is scheduled. Crews will also begin milling the surface of the old eastbound lanes in order to construct new frontage road pavement.
Other maintenance and construction projects scheduled for the coming week include:
- US 84 at the Sabine River: Construction crews have completed the eastbound bridge between Texas and Louisiana and bridge railing is now being constructed. Concrete pavement is being placed on the Louisiana side of the bridge.
- SH 7 East: Maintenance crews will be placing a hot mix overlay. Motorists can expect short delays.
- Various locations: Pothole repairs.
- Various locations: Weed and brush control.
- FM 139: Crews will be safety treating fixed objects from SH 7 to SH 87, including driveways, cross drainage structures and guardrail throughout the project.
- CR 4323: Workers have completed constructing bridges at Flat Fork Creek, Mill Creek and the nearby relief bridges. Crews will begin work on the bridge approaches this week.
- Business 59 at A&NR Railroad: Work will continue on storm sewer installation and the retaining wall on the west side of the railroad bridge as crews work toward removing and replacing the bridge. Motorists should remain alert as a southbound detour will be opened in coming days.
- US 59 at FM 2021: Crews continue to work on driveways through the Redland project area and pavement resurfacing and striping on the southbound on-ramp will continue. The on-ramp is scheduled to be complete within two weeks, weather permitting.
- SH 7: Maintenance crews will work to repair pavement base.
- US 59 North: Base repairs.
- Various locations: Maintenance crews will work to repair potholes.
- SL 224/US 59: The final surface and striping is scheduled in the westbound main lanes of SL 224/US 59. The outdated cloverleaf ramp has been closed permanently and northbound traffic is now turning left onto the entrance at the intersection of SL 224 and US 59. Utility crews continue to work in the area and Webber, contractor for the project, will continue work on the westbound exit ramp.
- SH 21: Crews will continue to finalize work to rehabilitate the roadway and add paved shoulders from just west of FM 226 to FM 3276.
- SL 224: Contractors will continue to work on guard rail and culverts throughout the project from SH 7 to US 259.
- SH 7 East: Maintenance crews will be seal coating and sealing shoulders from US 59/SL 224 northbound through Martinsville.
- US 59: Contractors will work to stripe the roadway after crews complete planing, sealing and resurfacing in the southbound lanes near Milton Creek
- US 287: Construction crews will continue work to widen the pavement for a left and right turn lane. The work is scheduled two miles west of US 59.
- FM 1988: Contractors will start placing drilled shafts, weather permitting, for the removal and replacement of the bridge at Long King Creek.
- Menard Creek: Crews will switch traffic at Hubert Cemetery Road at Dickens Branch to the opposite side of the road; at Kelly Road, crews will continue clearing operations for the bridge removal; and at Soda Loop at Bluff Creek, work will begin to form up bridge abutments.
- FM 1316: Maintenance crews will be laying a hot mix overlay.
- Various locations: Sign maintenance.
- US 287: Construction crews continue to clean up the project and place sod along with adjusting guardrails.
- SH 21: Maintenance crews will work to level up, patch and repair road base.
- FM 2967: Repair base and level up roadway.
- SH 94: Construction crews are working on driveways and cross culverts. Motorists could experience lane closures through the work area.
- FM 1617: Maintenance crews will be working to level-up the roadway.
- Various locations: A sweeper truck will be working to clean curbs, gutters and bridge decks.
SAN AUGUSTINE COUNTY
- SH 21: Construction crews are completing work on intersection improvements at US 96 and will continue to clean up the project as it works toward completion. The four-way traffic signal has now been activated.
- FM 83: Maintenance crews will be doing base repairs from FM 2390 eastbound to FM 705. Motorists should expect short delays.
- FM 1592: Safety treating fixed objects from SH 103 to SH 184.
- FM 2261: Safety treating fixed objects from 3.4 miles east of SH 87 to CR 1844.
- FM 3184: Safety treating fixed objects from FM 139 to CR 126.
- FM 2866: Maintenance crews will be doing base repairs from US 96 to FM 83.
SAN JACINTO COUNTY
- US 59 at FM 2914: Crews will continue to haul embankment for the overpass at FM 2914.