December 24, 2018 - A regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of Center Independent School District (CISD) was held on Thursday, December 13, 2018, beginning at 12:00 noon at Center Elementary School Library located at 621 Roughrider Drive in Center, Texas 75935.
1. Call Meeting to Order and Establish a Quorum - Matthew Mettauer called the meeting to order at 12:00 p.m. and declared a quorum. Present were John Henry Holloway; Allison Johnson; Daphne LaRock; Casey Lout; Matthew Mettauer; Traci Willoughby; Deuce Wulf; Betty McDaniel, Director of Finance and James Hockenberry, Superintendent. None were absent.
Visitors were Carey Agnew, Special Education Director; Kaylin Burleson, CHS Academic Coordinator; CES Parents; CES Students; Paul Cocklin, CISD Digital Learning Coordinator; Pam Doggett, CMS Instructional Coach; Angela Dowling, FLM Assistant Principal; Matt Gregory, CHS Principal; Heath Hagler, CIS Principal; Jake Henson, CMS Principal; Inez Hughes, FLM Principal; Shelly Norvell, CES Principal; Susan Penick, CHS Academic Coordinator; Linda Snell, Special Programs Director and Mickey Wulf, Special Education
2. Invocation and Pledges of Allegiance - John Henry Holloway led the invocation, and Ryder Moody led the Pledges.
3. Recognition of CES Students - The Board and guests were treated to Christmas carols sung by the CES Choir, an after-school program directed by Ms. Barbee and Ms. Cougler.
Traci Willoughby at 12:02 p.m.
Shelly Norvell recognized CES students for achieving a full year of literacy growth in five months.
4. Public Comments/Audience Participation - None
5. Consent Agenda - John Henry Holloway made a motion, seconded by Deuce Wulf to approve the consent agenda consisting of the minutes from the regular meeting on November 29, 2018, special called meeting on December 7, 2018, Tax Office Report (November 2018); Financial Reports (November 2018); Investment Report (November 2018), Overnight Student Trips and Investment Policy. The motion carried 7-0.
6. Academic Coordinator Design Overview and Update - The Academic Coordinators provided the Board with an overview of the program design and insight into their daily practice.
7. Review and Discussion of Academic Progress Report - The Board received an overview of CISD’s student goal academic data baseline report from Teresa Richard.
8. Discussion of Compensation Practices of Hard to Fill and Tested Area Positions - Dr. Hockenberry and the Board discussed compensation practices targeting tested area and hard to fill positions which in most cases are the same. An emphasis on creating stipends for such positions is a reality that warrants our attention now. The biannual compensation audit and review results is scheduled for March 2019. After the review, a framework will be brought forward for further discussion and consideration to address compensation for tested area positions.
9. Review Bond Project and Budget - Dr. Hockenberry provided the Board with a summary of the bond project.
10. Reauthorization and Appointment of Design Team Subcommittee - Traci Willoughby made a motion, seconded by Daphne LaRock to appoint Deuce Wulf to the Design Team, replacing Greg Hubbard. Deuce Wulf abstained. The motion carried 6-0.
11. Closed Session - Matthew Mettauer called for a closed session at 12:50 p.m. under Texas Government Code §551.071, §551.072, §551.074 and §551.129 for consideration of resignation/retirement of personnel, employment of contracted personnel, extended emergency sick leave and real property.
12. Open Session - The Board returned into open session at 1:22 p.m. No action was taken in closed session.
12.1 District Employees and Officers: Texas Government Code §551.071, §551.074 and §551.129 for consideration of employment of contracted personnel, resignation/retirement, and extended emergency sick leave.
12.1.1 Resignation/Retirement of Personnel - A motion was made by Daphne LaRock, seconded by Deuce Wulf to accept the resignation of contracted personnel as recommended by Superintendent Hockenberry - Barry Bowman, Athletic Director – Center High School. The motion carried 7-0.
12.1.2 Employment of Personnel - There was no employment of contracted personnel to be considered by the Board.
12.1.3 Extended Emergency Sick Leave - There were no extended emergency sick leave requests to be considered by the Board.
12.2 Real Property: Texas Government Code §551.071, §551.072 and §551.129 - There was no action taken regarding the real property.
13. Adjournment - Casey Lout, seconded by Daphne LaRock to adjourn the meeting at 1:24 p.m., made a motion. The motion carried 7-0.