November 16, 2015 - A regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of Center Independent School District (CISD) was held on Thursday, November 12, 2015 beginning at 6:00 p.m. at Center ISD Administration Board Room located at 107 Private Road 605 Center, Texas 75935.
1. Call Meeting to Order and Establish a Quorum
James Greer called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. and declared a quorum.
Present: James Greer; Daphne LaRock; Sharon Nelson; Stephen Shires; Traci Willoughby; Dan Wilkins; Rayford Copelin, Deputy Superintendent; Tammy Lemoine, Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction; Betty McDaniel, Director of Finance and James Hockenberry, Superintendent
Absent: John Henry Holloway
Visitors: Tina Byrnes, Southwest Foodservice Excellence; Matt Gregory, CHS Principal; Brittany Hall, CHS Agriculture Science Teacher; Representatives from Goodwin-Lasiter-Strong; Allen and Bonny Reed; Whitlee Reed, CHS student; Leslee Russell; Maddie Russell, CHS student and Steve Snyder, Light and Champion
2. Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance - Dan Wilkins gave the invocation and Matt Gregory led the Pledge of Allegiance.
3. Public Comments/Audience Participation
Brittany Hall provided the Board with information about the FFA chapter as well as announcing that Whitlee Reed and Maddie Russell will be competing at State in Creed Speaking. Whitlee and Maddie were on hand to recite the FFA creed to the Board.
4. Update on Current Facilities Projects
The Board received an update on the facilities projects from Rayford Copelin. Remaining work at the CIS gym includes art graphics and minor touch-up work. The CMS gym renovation effort is going extremely well. Completion is expected very soon. The work on the CHS field house has just begun.
5. Consent Agenda
A motion was made by Sharon Nelson, seconded by Stephen Shires to approve the consent agenda consisting of the minutes from the regular meeting on October 9, 2015, the Investment Report (2015-2016), the Tax Collection Report (October 2015), the Financial Reports (October 2015) and the student overnight activity trips. The motion carried 6-0.
6. Consideration and Approval to Convey, with a Deed, Approximately 3.2 Acres of Property to the City of Center for the Sole Purpose to Expand the Current Mini Park
Sharon Nelson made the motion, seconded by Dan Wilkins that we convey approximately 3.2 acres of land – the land that we understand to be the old CHS baseball field on Malone Drive – to the City of Center in a deed without a warranty as to title, or at the most, with a “special warranty”, as that term is legally understood, with a perpetual restriction on the property for the purpose of dedicating the property as “public park land” – namely the expansion of the mini-park in the manner that has been contemplated in the amended Inter-Local Agreement between the District and the City that we are considering this evening. The motion carried 6-0.
7. Consideration and Approval to Supplement and Amend Inter-Local Agreement between Center ISD and the City of Center
A motion was made by Dan Wilkins, seconded by Traci Willoughby for the approval to supplement and amend the Inter-Local Agreement between Center ISD and the City of Center. The motion carried 6-0.
8. Consideration and Approval to Join and Participate in Cooperative Purchasing Agreement Administered by Region 20
A motion was made by Traci Willoughby, seconded by Daphne LaRock for the approval of Center ISD to join and participate in a cooperative purchasing agreement administered by ESC Region 20. The motion carried 6-0.
9. Approve to Solicit Bids for Telecommunication and Internet Access Services Part of the E-Rate Process
A motion was made by Stephen Shires, seconded by Sharon Nelson to authorize Administration to solicit bids for telecommunication and internet access services in part with the E-Rate process. The motion carried 6-0.
10. Distribution of TASB Policy Update 103 - Each member of the Board received a copy of the TASB Policy Update 103 (affecting Local policies).
11. Authorize School District Permits Teaching for Non-Core Academic Career and Technical Education Courses
A motion was made by Sharon Nelson, seconded by Traci Willoughby to authorize Administration to issue district teaching permits to Cheryl Flournoy, Courtney Mayfield and Jeff Sanford for non-core academic career and technical educational courses. The motion carried 6-0.
12. Consideration and Approval to Authorize Center ISD Architect and Engineering Firm to Formally Design and Plan Facility Projects and Improvements
A motion was made by Sharon Nelson, seconded by Stephen Shires to authorize Center ISD architect firm to formally design and plan facility projects and improvements as presented.
The projects include: a new agriculture science building; additional tennis courts and development adjacent to current CHS courts; expand and slightly renovate current CMS weight room and a new roof and HVAC at the current middle school fieldhouse. The motion carried 6-0.
13. Closed Session - The Board did not enter into closed session.
14. Open Session
14.1 District Employees and Officers: Texas Government Code §551.071, §551.074 and §551.129
14.1.1 There were no employment of contracted personnel to be presented.
14.1.2 A motion was made by Stephen Shires, seconded by Traci Willoughby to accept the retirement of Kathy Sawyer effective January 31, 2016 as recommended by Superintendent Hockenberry. The motion carried 6-0.
14.1.3 A motion was made by Traci Willoughby, seconded by Daphne LaRock to approve the extended emergency leave for Susie Smith, Bus Driver (Transportation) as recommended by Superintendent Hockenberry. The motion carried 6-0.
15. Adjournment - A motion was made by Dan Wilkins, seconded by Daphne LaRock to adjourn the meeting at 6:5 p.m. The motion carried 6-0.