December 1, 2018 - A regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of Center Independent School District (CISD) was held on Thursday, November 29, 2018 beginning at 12:00 p.m. at F.L. Moffett Library located at 294 Stadium Drive in Center, Texas 75935.
1. Call Meeting to Order and Establish a Quorum - Matthew Mettauer called the meeting to order at 12 noon and declared a quorum. Present was Allison Johnson; Daphne LaRock; Casey Lout; Matthew Mettauer; Traci Willoughby; Deuce Wulf; Betty McDaniel, Director of Finance and James Hockenberry, Superintendent. Absent was John Henry Holloway.
Visitors were Alexis Barlow; Danny Berry, Berry and Clay; Paul Cocklin, CISD Digital Learning; Mike Elswick, Light and Champion; FLM Students; David Golden, McKinley Golden Architects; Matthew Gregory, CHS Principal; Heath Hagler, CIS Principal; Jake Henson, CMS Principal; Inez Hughes, FLM Principal; LeeAnn Masterson, CIS Assistant Principal; Malcolm McKinley, McKinley Golden Architects; Choie Ming; Shelly Norvell, CES Principal; Teresa Richard, CISD Director of Instruction and Response to Intervention; Linda Snell, CISD Special Programs Director; Cindy Tillery, CISD Roughrider Academy Director and Mickey Wulf, CISD Special Education
2. Invocation and Pledges of Allegiance - Casey Lout led the invocation, and Allison Johnson led the Pledges.
3. Statement of Elected Officer - Joyce Permenter administered Daphne LaRock, Traci Willoughby and Deuce Wulf the Statement of Election Officer.
4. Oath of Office - Joyce Permenter administered the Oath of Office to the elected Board members: Daphne LaRock, Traci Willoughby, and Deuce Wulf.
5. Reorganization of Board – Officers Elected
Casey Lout nominated Matthew Mettauer for Board President, seconded by Traci Willoughby. With no further nominations, the majority elected Matthew Mettauer as President of the Center Independent School District Board of Trustees.
Traci Willoughby nominated John Henry Holloway for Vice President, seconded by Deuce Wulf. Casey Lout nominated Allison Johnson for Vice President, seconded by Daphne LaRock. Traci Willoughby withdrew her motion. With no further nominations, the majority elected Allison Johnson as Vice President of the Center Independent School District Board of Trustees.
Allison Johnson nominated Casey Lout for Secretary, seconded by Traci Willoughby. With no further nominations, the majority elected Casey Lout as Secretary of the Center Independent School District Board of Trustees
6. Recognition of FLM Student - Inez Hughes recognized FLM students for positive behavior, super reading and writing skills.
7. Public Comments/Audience Participation - None
8. Consent Agenda - A motion was made by Casey Lout, seconded by Daphne LaRock to approve the consent agenda consisting of the minutes from the regular meeting on October 11, 2018, special called meeting on November 15, 2018, Tax Office Report (October 2018); Financial Reports (October 2018); Investment Report (October 2018) and Overnight Student Trips. Deuce Wulf abstained from voting. The motion carried 5-0.
9. ELAR and SS “Lead Teacher” Design Overview and Update - Due to scheduling conflicts, this agenda item was tabled.
10. Response to Intervention (RTI) Overview - Teresa Richard provided the Board with an overview of the RTI program, including numbers of students being served and examples of the interventions being provided.
11. Review of Character Development Plans for Staff and Students Report - Dr. Hockenberry provided the Board with a copy of the Character Development Plans for each campus.
12. Roughrider Academy Update - Cindy Tillery provided an update on the continued progress of Roughrider Academy.
13. Review Bond Project and Budget - Dr. Hockenberry provided the Board with a summary of the bond project.
14. Multi-Purpose Event Center Presentation and Discussion - David Golden and Malcolm McKinley presented ideas for the multi-purpose event center.
15. Consideration to Approve Site Location of Multi-Purpose Event Center as Part of the 2018 Bond Program - Malcolm McKinley and Danny Berry provided the Board with pros and cons of building the multi-purpose event center in various locations. A motion was made by Daphne LaRock, seconded by Allison Johnson to approve the site location of the multi-purpose event center to be located on the North East side of CHS main building. Deuce Wulf abstained from voting. The motion carried 5-0.
16. Recognition of Dollar General Donation to Center Intermediate School - Heath Hagler provided information that the Dollar General Store donated $10,000 to Center Intermediate School on Thursday, November 15, 2018, in recognition of the campus literacy program.
17. Consideration to Approve Donation of Historical Bell to the Daughters of Republic of Texas - A motion was made by Traci Willoughby, seconded by Daphne LaRock to approve the donation of the historical bell to the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. Deuce Wulf abstained from voting. The motion carried 5-0.
18. Consideration to Approve the Property, Fleet Liability Insurance - Administration received two bids for property, fleet and liability insurance for 2018-2019. The bids were from TREA and TASB. A motion was made by Casey Lout, seconded by Allison Johnson to approve the property, fleet and liability insurance for 2018-2019 to TASB. Deuce Wulf abstained from voting. The motion carried 5-0.
19. Closed Session - Matthew Mettauer called for a closed session at 12:55 p.m. under Texas Government Code §551.071, §551.072, §551.074 and §551.129 for consideration of resignation/retirement of personnel, employment of contracted personnel, extended emergency sick leave and real property.
20. Open Session - The Board returned into open session at 2:00 p.m. No action was taken in closed session.
20.1 District Employees and Officers: Texas Government Code §551.071, §551.074 and §551.129 for consideration of employment of contracted personnel, resignation/retirement and extended emergency sick leave.
20.1.1 Resignation/Retirement of Personnel - There were no resignations/retirements of personnel to be considered by the Board.
20.1.2 Employment of Personnel - A motion was made by Traci Willoughby, seconded by Daphne LaRock to approve the employment of contracted personnel as recommended by Superintendent Hockenberry.
Madison Holyfield, Teacher/Coach – Center High School
Jalene Hubbard, ELAR Teacher – Center Middle School
Deuce Wulf abstained from voting. The motion carried 5-0.
20.1.3 Extended Emergency Sick Leave - There were no extended emergency sick leave to be considered by the Board.
20.2 Real Property: Texas Government Code §551.071, §551.072 and §551.129 - There was no action taken regarding the real property.
21. Adjournment - A motion was made by Traci Willoughby, seconded by Allison Johnson to adjourn the meeting at 2:03pm. The motion carried 6-0.