May 19, 2022 - Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8904 and the Auxiliary will be hosting a Memorial Day Program this year on Memorial Day, Monday, May 30, 11:00 a.m. at the Windham Civic Center.
Due to COVID concerns we haven’t been able to hold a program the past couple of years so we are really happy and proud to be back this year.
The public is cordially invited to join in remembering the 223 fellow Americans from Shelby County who died in the service of their country from the Mexican-American War in 1846 to todays War on Terror. Each of their names will be read during the ceremony.
Memorial Day Program Agenda
- Musical Prelude - David Mathis, Minister of Worship and Education, First Baptist Church, Center, Texas
- Invocation - Elder Faye Dell Allen, Strong Triumph Church
- Posting of the Ceremonial Rifle - Sr. Vice Commander Newton Johnson, Jr. and Kenneth Dickerson
- National Anthem - Mr. David Mathis, Minister of Worship and Education, First Baptist Church, Center, Texas
- Pledge of Allegiance - All in Attendance
- Welcome - Larry Hume, Quartermaster, VFW Post 8904
- Guest Speaker - Richard “Dick” Shawver, Immediate Past Texas VFW State Commander
- Recognition of Gold Star Families - VFW Post 8904 and Auxiliary
- Musical Selection “In Flanders Fields” - First Baptist Church Trio
- Quilts of Valor Presentation - Dr. Jheri-Lynn McSwain, Shelby County 4-H Sewing Sensations Project
- Roll Call of Honor - VFW and Auxiliary Members
- Memorial Wreath Decorating - VFW, Auxiliary and All in Attendance
- Musical Selection “Last Full Measure of Devotion” - Mayor Pro Tem Leigh Porterfield
- Moment of Silence - All
- Adjourn to the Flag Poles Outside
o Taps - Commander Gene Hutto
o Flag Raising - Jr. Vice Commander Jason Samford and Service Officer Richard Lundie