May 8, 2017 - Reminder: Don't forget to stop by the meeting May 10th at 5:30 in the Center High School AG Shop (behind the high school, beside the stadium). All students in CISD can show through Center FFA/Jr. FFA (must be at least 8 and in the 3rd grade)!! This is an AMAZING opportunity for students to become involved!! Orders for Chickens = $30/student for 30 chickens T-Shirt Orders (we like to match when we represent Center FFA) - $20/each. If you have any questions, please e-mail Jessica.email@example.com.
April 12, 2017 - It is time to begin planning to raise chickens for the 2017 Shelby County Poultry Festival! This opportunity is open to ANY CISD student in at least the 3rd Grade AND at least 8 years of age (must meet both requirements)!
Center FFA has a Jr. FFA Program that is very similar to the FFA Chapter offered at the High School level. We want all Center ISD students to have the opportunity to participate with the largest youth organization in the world!!
Here's some info on Center FFA/Center Jr. FFA:
- Students must be in at least the 3rd grade AND at least 8 years of age at CISD
- Students can show at the Poultry Festival (first weekend of October normally) AND the Shelby County Livestock Show (first weekend of March normally)
- They can show the following animals:
Chickens- Poultry Festival
Cattle, Sheep, Goats, Pigs, and Rabbits- Shelby County Livestock Show
- Students commit to the time and expenses of the project and in return have the possibility to make THOUSANDS of dollars after showing and "selling" their projects at each auction
- Please feel free to share the this opportunity with any family attending CISD!
We will have an informational meeting on Wednesday May 10th at 5:30 PM in the Ag Shop of the High School. This will allow for new-comers to ask questions and meet others that have done animal projects in the past. During the entire "growing" of all animals, the FFA Advisors will be available to assist and answer questions!
Chickens are only a 6-week project!!
If a student is interested in showing animals at the Livestock Show- there will be information sent out about that in Early September.
Important dates for 2017 Poultry Festival:
- May 10th 5:30pm - Poultry Project Meeting - HS Ag Shop
- May 17th - $$ Due for purchase of chickens for Poultry Festival to Mr. Harvey
- May 17th - $$ Due for purchase of Poultry Festival T-Shirts to Mrs. Shadix
- Early August- pens must be ready for chickens
- August (mid-end) - Chickens will arrive - all students will need to pick up their chickens from the designated location-probably the Joaquin HS Ag Shop
- First Saturday of October (estimate) - Poultry Festival Show and Sale
Showing animal projects takes time committment, financial commitment, and is a family effort. With all of that being said - students gain TONS of real-world experiences, learn responsibility, hard work, and dedication from participating with the Center FFA/Jr.
The rewards far outweigh the committment and students have the opportunity to get a substantial financial reward if successful.