Center Fire Department Responds to Grocery Store Fire

July 20, 2021 - Center Fire Department personnel were dispatched to Walmart located on Hurst Street in Center the evening of July 18, 2021, where equipment was reported to be on fire at 10pm.

Before the fire department arrived, anyone inside of the building was evacuated. According to the Center Fire Department, a produce cooler on the grocery store side of the building caught on fire inside the store and the fire department was requested.

Upon arrival, the cooler had been pulled outside by employees and was still emanating heat, so the cooler was further extinguished by the fire department. Ventilation fans were then utilized to pull smoke from the store by placing them in the doorways and running them to suction the smoke from the building. 

After the fire fighters checked the store to make certain there was no further danger, and evacuated the smoke from the building, they returned to the station at 11:17pm.

No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.