September 15, 2021 - Shelby County Commissioners approved a budget and tax rate for the 2021-2022 Fiscal Year during a budget workshop held September 8, 2021.
County Judge Allison Harbison explained the total tax rate will be $0.7227, with the county tax rate being $0.6432, and the road and bridge tax rate being $0.0795 for a two cent increase in the total tax rate.
A motion carried to adopt the proposed budget with nine budget amendments and changes as listed by Commissioner Roscoe McSwain to become effective October 1, 2021.
In his motion McSwain indicated the county would be starting at $534,381 in the red, and then he listed the amendments as follows:
- Amendment 1, add $1 per our to the pay rate of clerical employees with the exception of the County Attorney clerical, District Attorney, and Sheriff's Department Commissary, 123rd District Court Administrator, and adjust all department salary and benefit line items accordingly.
- Amendment 2, add 50 cents per hour to the pay rate of the hourly employees of Road and Bridge, Sheriff law enforcement officers, Jailers, Dispatchers, and adjust all department salary and benefit line items accordingly.
- Amendment 3, reduce the proposed budget for the accounts of Courthouse Repairs - $200,000; and Emergency Services - $30,000.
- Amendment 4, abolish proposed budget for Department 650 which is is the Commissioners Secretary.
- Amendment 5, add $1.50 per hour to hourly pay rate of County Judge Administrative Assistant, and the Assistant County Treasurer, adjust salary and benefit line items accordingly.
- Amendment 6, set the hourly pay rate at $15 per hour for the Emergency Management Coordinator.
- Amendment 7, set the hourly pay rate of $15.14 per hour for the 911 Administrator.
- Amendment 8, set the starting clerical pay at $12 per hour.
- Amendment 9, add to the proposed budget, County Judge's office supplies - $750; County Judge's telephone - $1,000; County Treasurer office supplies - $750; County Treasurer telephone - $1,000; EMC salaries $7,600 and adjust salary and benefit line items accordingly; Indigent Healthcare fund carryover $200,000 will be used in working on balancing the budget; Road and Bridge Precinct 1 through Precinct 4 will each have a $50,000 addition to their gravel account; Courthouse Janitorial expenses increase $1,800 to the contract; equalization of salaries for Justice of the Peace 2 and Justice of the Peace 4 to that of Justice of the Peace 3 and 5 adjust salary and benefit line items accordingly; Sheriff's Department budget to add one additional deputy to the Sheriff's Office for patrol adjust salary and benefit line items accordingly.
A motion then carried to adopt the tax rate for the 2021-2022 Fiscal Year at a two cent tax increase with .014 allocated to Road and Bridge to fund the $200,000 increase to Road and Bridge, to give a total tax rate of $0.7227, General Fund County Rate at $0.6432 and Road and Bridge at $0.0795.
"The Indigent Healthcare tax rate's going to be adjusted, and that's going to leave our budget $215,761 in the red to be funded with fund carryover," said McSwain.
The meeting was then adjourned.
Agenda items approved during the meeting include: 1. Adopt FY 2021-2022 Proposed Budget. 2. Adopt FY 2021-2022 Proposed Tax Rate. 3. Adjourn.