July 21, 2023 - Shelby County Judge Allison Harbison has placed Shelby County under a burn ban as of today, July 21, 2023.
The declaration reads as follows:
WHEREAS, the County of Shelly is under imminent threat of severe damage, injury of loss of life or property resulting from the threat of wildfires due to extremely dry grassland fuel, drought and other weather-related conditions; and
WHEREAS, THE COUNTY JUDGE of Shelby County has determined that to mitigate the hazard posed by wildfires during the current dry conditions, extraordinary measures must be taken to alleviate the suffering of people and to protect or rehabilitate property,
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT PROCLAIMED BY THE COUNTY JUDGE OF Shelby County:
1. That a local state of disaster is hereby proclaimed for Shelby County pursuant to §418.108(a) of the Texas Government Code.
2. This Declaration of a local state of disaster shall continue for a period of not more than seven days from the date of this declaration unless continued or renewed by the Commissioners Court of Shelby County.
3. All outdoor burning is prohibited in the unincorporated areas of Shelby County. This Order does not prohibit outdoor burning activities carried out by Federal Certified Agencies.
4. This Declaration of shall be given prompt and general publicity and shall be filed promptly with the County Clerk of Shelby County.
5. This Declaration of the local state of disaster activates the Shelby County Emergency Management Plan.
This Proclamation shall take effect immediately from and after its issuance; ORDERED THIS 21st DAY OF July, 2023.