October 20, 2015 - The First Christian Church of Timpson will meet for a special service this Sunday, October 25, 2015 to commemorate 130 years of worshipping at this location, followed by a luncheon. Later, at 2 p.m., the New Creation singers from Many, La. will be at the church for gospel singing. All in the community are invited to attend.
The beginning of Lurene Billingsley's article about the church in the 1988 History of Shelby County book reads: "When the railroad town of Timpson was founded in 1885, there were already groups of Christian Church members in surrounding communities ... The First Christian Church was one of the first congregations in the new town and according to Ernest Blankenship and others, the first one to get into its own building."
The early leaders of the First Christian Church, or Disciples of Christ, in America were Barton W. Stone and Thomas and Alexander. They believed that Christians could find a common ground for unity if they relied solely on what the New Testament taught. "Where the Scriptures speak, we speak: where the Scriptures are silent, we are silent" became a motto. Another slogan of the Disciples has been "No Creed but Christ, No Book but the Bible."
Thomas Campbell used a saying that has been adopted as one of the traditions of the Christian Church: "In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; and in all things, charity." (from article by David Billingsley in the Timpson History Book).
It is said that the group of Christians in Timpson met and organized in the hall above Tom Duke's saloon, located where the Brinson store was on Bremond Street. By 1886 the church had its own building, a frame structure on the present site with a belfry and bell. Later, the belfry was removed. Charter members of the church included Thomas R. Day, Katy Day, Grady Day, A. E. Day, Bob Day, the George Dukes, the C. H. Hadens, Minnie Mclemore, J.T. Mclemore, the John Brinsons, Allie Childress, Mrs. Zach Booth, Ella Hardy, the Tom Herringtons, the J.W. Hursts, Houston Weaver, F.J. Weaver and, according to a letter from Tolbert Weaver at the time of the church's 70th anniversary in 1955, other members were the Brunners and Bob and Barry Shipp.
A major remodeling took place in 1964. The original frame structure is now brick, but retains its original footprint. At First Christian Church, the Lord's Supper (communion) is observed each Lord's Day and all confessed believers, whether members of the church or not, to participate. Baptism is by immersion. We accept no creed by Christ and no book but the Bible. Our aim is not to be the only Christians, but to be Christian only, being a part of the Spiritual Body of Christ.
Ministers of First Christian Church in Timpson include: Dan Leak, George N. Weaver, R.H. Bonham, Reverend Massey, R.F. Carter, W./L. Morrow, A.R. Caudle, A.B. McCrary, R. Jackson, M.M. Smith, Thomas Weaver, Albert T. Fitts, George Hadfield, Eustice AI. Thompson, H.E. Luck, Thurman Boswell, Bill McCauley, Jack Willett, Pearce J. Burns (who returned a second and a third ministry), R.J. McKowan, Dr. L.L. Lemon, Harvey P. Shead, Dr. W.B. Oliver, Raymond Sellers, Bill Wilson, Harold Calhoun, Harlie Woolard, Robert McArthur, Dr. Jimmy Tinkle, Larry Stegall, Jesse Pugh, Newall Hall, James Dulaney, Eugene Cherry, Rex Humphreys, Daniel Anderson, Preston Vickery and Will Brown- student ministers, and Larry Stegall (2nd time).