August 20, 2020 - There is a lot of national coverage regarding how the USPS will not be able to handle the influx of ballots by mail this November. The state of Texas is not one of the states directly in question, and both our local and state agencies do not anticipate any issues. However, here are a few helpful hints for voters to ensure that ballots will make a timely return by Election Day.
- Apply and request a ballot by mail NOW, do not wait for the October 23rd deadline.
- As soon as you get your ballot mark it and return it; do not hold off on voting and mailing it back.
- If you request an application at the deadline, return it in person to the county clerk's office.
- Also, Governor Abbott has made state provisions for voters to return their ballot by mail in person to the county elections office for the entire three-week early voting period, not just on election day as it has been prior. You will be required to show your picture ID and sign our ballot by mail register.
- Ballots will be mailed out approximately mid-September.
You can call the Shelby County Clerk's office to request an application to vote by mail, or for any other questions, at 936-598-6361.