October 8, 2021 - (Album) - Jheri-Lynn McSwain and Feleshia Thompson, AgriLife Extension Agents, representing Shelby 4-H Hearts to Hands Quilts of Valor Project hosted a program honoring specific veterans on October 7, 2021 during the 45th Annual East Texas Poultry Festival.
"Our project is comprised of adult volunteers and 4-H youth that meet to sew in honor of Shelby County veterans," said McSwain. "The Quilts of Valor Project is in partnership with VFW Post 8904 and made possible through sponsorships from local businesses and individuals."
McSwain invited all in the public to view the Quilts of Valor and honoree memorabilia on display at the Historic 1885 Shelby County Courthouse during the festival from 10am to 4pm, October 7-9.
McSwain provided additional background into the development of the Quilts of Valor program. In 2003 a quilter named Katherine Roberts began the movement that became the Quilts of Valor when her son was deployed to Iraq. Since that time over 190,000 Quilts of Valor have been awarded across the United States.
"Our mission is to honor service members and veterans who have been touched by war with comforting and healing Quilts of Valor," said McSwain. "Today we will be presenting 14 quilts, and these quilts have been sponsored by the Center Noon Lion's Club and local individuals in Shelby County."
McSwain and Thompson each then introduced the honorees, recognized them for their service and thanked them for allowing them to recognize them.
Those honorees are as follows:
- Seaman Allen Baker, Navy - 1946-1948
- Master Sergeant Derwin Howell, Sr., Air Force - 1963-1983
- Machinist 1st Class Isaac "Ike" Reeves II, Navy - 1964-1966
- Corporal Lee Jarvis, Marines - 1965-1967
- Specialist Five Kenneth Ramsey, Army - 1966-1968
- Specialist Five Rocky Hand, Army - 1968-1971
- Sergeant Michael Wulf, Army - 1968-1970
- Petty Officer 3rd Class Sean Martin, Navy - 1989-1994
- Senior Airman Michael Davidson, Air Force - 1995-1999
- Sergeant Angela Neal, Army - 2000-2005
- Corporal Jason Samford, Marines - 2005-2009
- Specialist Four William Denison, Army - 2006-2014
- Sergeant David Williams, Army - 2009-2017
- Petty Officer 3rd Class John Clevenger, Navy - 2009-2014