February 17, 2017 - Notice is hereby given that a meeting of the governing body of the City of Timpson will be held on Tuesday, the 21st day of February, 2017, at 5:30 pm at the City Hall, 456 Jacob Street, Timpson, Texas, at which time the following subjects will be considered, to-wit:
1. Call to Order:
3. Pledge: United States Pledge, Texas Pledge
4. Chamber of Commerce: Presented by Paul Smith
Event Notice: The Timpson Area Chamber of Commerce is proud to present East Texas on Display. Featuring original creations by local artists from across East Texas, the fundraising event will take place on Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 2 p.m. – 7 p.m. in downtown Timpson, beginning at the Volunteer Fire Department.
5. Council Items: Reports by the members of the City Council on matters not on the agenda will be made at this time. A total, not to exceed 10 minutes will be devoted to these reports.
6. Presentations & Recognition:
7. Citizens Input: This time is provided for members of the public to address the City Council on items that appear within the Consent and Action Items or a matter not listed on the agenda. Each speaker is limited to 3 minutes. A Citizens Input Form may be filled out and filed with the City Secretary prior to the meeting.
8. Department Reports:
A. Public Works Report: Larry Burns
B. Police Department Report: Kent Graham
C. Municipal Court Report: For the month of January 2017, there were 68 citations issued, 89 violations, 0 to juveniles and 1 to a minor. Total amount reported $14,253.60 the City’s portion a 55% estimate of $7,839.48. In addition, $767.74 will be paid to Linebarger for their fees collected in the month of January.
D. City Secretary: Leslie Leathers reporting the Old Spanish Trail Ride will be camping at SoSo Park on February 25th, 2017.
The insurance check was received from the Woodlawn Cemetery gate damage and repairs are underway. Also, an insurance check from TML was received so the Volunteer Fire Department can get the 1999 F450 Grass Truck repaired that was involved in a wreck on December 13, 2016.
Union Pacific has returned the signed agreement for the bore under the tracks.
Election Info: There were 5 completed candidate packets submitted for the General Election on May 6th as of 5:00pm on February 16th (before I posted the Agenda). The deadline to file is Friday, February 17th at 5:00pm. The seats of Janell Baker, George Grace and Kyle Allen are up for election. The candidates that have currently turned in packets are Charleston Johnson, Tiffany Collins and Incumbents George Grace, Janell Baker and Kyle Allen. A drawing will be held on February 27, 2017 for the placement of names on the ballot for the three City Council positions. I will have an update with all of the candidates at the meeting.
*Early Voting begins April 24th at City Hall and ends May 2nd ; weekdays only
*April 24th and May 2nd are extended hours – 7am – 7pm other days are 8am-5pm
*April 6th - the last day to register to vote or make a change of address in order to be able to vote in the May 6th Election.
*April 25th - the last day to apply for ballots to be voted by mail.
*May 6th --ELECTION DAY-- 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Timpson ISD Gym foryer.
9. Consent Agenda: Items included under the Consent Agenda require little or no Deliberation by the Council. Approval of the Consent Agenda authorizes the City Secretary to proceed with the conclusion of each item as reflected in the Minutes of this meeting.
A. Consider approval of the minutes of the regular meeting held on January 17, 2017
B. Consider approval of Financial Statements for the month of January 2017
C. Consider approval of Accounts Payable – Paid bills for January, 2017
REGULAR AGENDA ITEMS (10 –21)
10. Discuss and possibly take action: Approve a luncheon to be provided by the City of Timpson for the Volunteer Fire Department. Councilman George Grace requested this during the January meeting to thank all the fire department volunteers.
11. Discuss and possibly take action: Council will review and possibly award the bid for the sale of the TVFD 1988 out of commission grass truck. A total of four (4) sealed bids for the truck were received as of the deadline on February 14, 2017. The City reserves the right to reject any and all bids.
12. Discuss and possibly take action: Council will review and possibly award the bid for the sale of the 2005 Crown Vic owned by the Timpson Police Department. If approved, certified funds or cash will be required at time of transfer of property/ ownership. A total of one (1) bid was received for the car as of the deadline on February 14, 2017. The City reserves the right to reject any and all bids.
13. Discuss and possibly take action: Approval of the Goodwin-Lasiter proposal to solicit for sealed bids for the needed repairs for the two (2) bolted ground tanks and one (1) elevated water tank. Pursuant to TCEQ guidelines the three (3) water tanks will require tank coating systems rehabilitation. The cost of these repairs will exceed $50,000 and require the engineering services of Goodwin-Lasiter. These basic services will be provided for a fee of $15,800.
14. Discuss and possibly take action: Approval of repairs to the culvert on Holly Street from the bids received.
15. Discuss and possibly take action: Approval of repairs with the extension of a culvert and filling in of the ditch at Pecan and Marcus Streets from the bids received.
16. Discuss and possibly take action: Approval of repairs to the waterline on Timpson Street from bids received.
17. Discuss and possibly take action: Approval to change the policy for medical coverage while on a leave of absence. Currently, there is no family medical leave in place for city employees. The change in policy would be for an employee vital to city operations; an employee in a supervisory position and/or an employee with a minimum of X amount of years. The new policy would read, the Council MAY vote to offer and EMERGENCY WAIVER to the 40 hour FULL TIME requirement for employment with full benefits in the event of an employee or family medical emergency for up to 6 months. The waiver would REDUCE the number of hours from 40 to NO LESS than 20 hours per week (TML Policy) and that the INSURANCE PREMIUMS would be prorated proportionally, with the employee responsible for his/her portion based on hours missed. Also, the waiver would ONLY be implemented when an employee has used all of his or her available vacation and sick time (balances 0 hours). An employee would be charged a weekly insurance premium of *$3.25 per hour for any hours less than 40 worked during the WAIVER PERIOD. (The motion will need to include the minimum of ____ amount of years.)
*This amount is based on the current 2017 premium, this will fluctuate with yearly premium changes.
18. Discuss and possibly take action: Hire Barbara Wester as Deputy Early Voting Clerk for early voting by appearance on April 24th thru May 2nd 2017 to assist the City Secretary. Also hire Barbara Wester as Election Judge for the May 6th General Election along with an Alternate Judge and 3 Clerks. (Municipal Court Clerk Paula Mullins and Utility Secretary Charlotte Broadway have requested to not help with early voting)
19. Discuss and possibly take action: Order of Notice, General Election to be held on May 6, 2017 to elect three City Council Members.
20. Discuss and possibly take action: Inter local Agreement between TISD and the City of Timpson to hold a General Election May 6, 2017.
The Council reserves the right to retire into executive session concerning any of the items listed on this agenda whenever it is considered necessary and is legally justified under the Open Meetings Act.
This facility is wheelchair accessible and wheelchair parking is available. Requests for accommodations or interpretive services must be made 48 hours prior to this meeting. Please contact the City Secretary at 254-2421 for further information or needed assistance.
This agenda is posted as required under Government Code Section 551.041. For more information or for a copy of the open meetings act, please contact the Attorney General of Texas at 1-800-252-8011 or the City Secretary at 936-254-2421.