November 14, 2016 - Notice is hereby given that a meeting of the governing body of the City of Timpson will be held on the 15th day of November, 2016 at 5:30 pm at the City Hall, 456 Jacob Street, Timpson, Texas, at which time the following subjects will be considered, to-wit:
1. Call to Order:
3. Pledge: United States Pledge, Texas Pledge
4. Chamber of Commerce: Chamber of Commerce, presented by Paul Smith.
5. Council Items: Reports by the members of the City Council on matters not on the agenda will be made at this time. A total, not to exceed 10 minutes will be devoted to these reports.
A. Municipal Court Clerk, Paula Mullins to speak regarding Citation/Case Processing in Incode.
B. James Guest to speak regarding the Citations Collection Process and an update on Property Tax in the City.
6. Presentations & Recognition:
7. Citizens Input: This time is provided for members of the public to address the City Council on items that appear within the Consent and Action Items or a matter not listed on the agenda. Each speaker is limited to 3 minutes. A Citizens Input Form may be filled out and filed with the City Secretary prior to the meeting.
8. Department Reports:
A. Public Works Report: Larry Burns
B. Police Department Report: Kent Graham
C. Municipal Court Report: For the month of October 2016, there were 99 citations issued, 114 violations, 0 to juveniles and 2 to minors. Total amount reported $11,508.47 the City’s portion a 55% estimate of $6,329.66.
D. City Secretary: Leslie Leathers reporting that the dumpster will be here on Saturday, December 3rd. No City Council Meeting in December, the next meeting will be January 17th at 5:30. The VFD purchased a laptop for $619.96 at Best Buy which was approved by council at October’s meeting.
9. Consent Agenda: Items included under the Consent Agenda require little or no Deliberation by the Council. Approval of the Consent Agenda authorizes the City Secretary to proceed with the conclusion of each item as reflected in the Minutes of this meeting.
A. Consider approval of the minutes of the regular meeting held on September 20, 2016
B. Consider approval of Financial Statement for the month of September, 2016
C. Consider approval of Accounts Payable – Unpaid bills for September, 2016
D. Approval of the purchase of the bed for the new VFD truck from Car Tex Trailer for $5,945.00. This will be paid from the VFD account.
E. Approval of the Engagement Letter from Frank Campos for the Audit of the City Financial statements, dated October 21, 2016.
F. Accept 100% donated vehicle from Thomas Norris’ Security Firm.
G. Ratify the election of Talitha Green as secretary for the TVFD.
H. Pass Resolution 20161115-2 for Municipal support for Upward Bound Program Funding being sought by Timpson Independent School District.
REGULAR AGENDA ITEMS (10 –17)
10. Discuss and possibly take action: Sale by sealed bids for the 2005 Crown Vic owned by the Police Department. Mileage is 100-120,000 miles and currently not running. New owner will be expected to take possession and will be responsible for towing or trailering within 15 days of purchase. No police sirens, light bars, radios or police equipment included. Sealed bids are to be dropped off at City Hall or mailed to PO Box 369. The City reserves the right to reject any and all bids. Bids must be turned in or postmarked by January 6, 2017. Council will either except or reject bids on Jan 17, 2017; Certified Funds or Cash will be required at time of transfer of property/ownership.
11. Discuss and possibly take action: Adopt Resolution 20161115-1 designating East Texas Press as the official “printed” newspaper for the City of Timpson.
12. Discuss and possibly take action: Announce the acceptance of bids for the Woodlawn Cemetery Maintenance Contract for 2017. Interested parties should Contact the City Secretary for a copy of the proposal requirements. For information Contact Leslie at 254-2421. Proposals/Bids must be turned in or postmarked by January 6, 2017. The Cemetery Committee will review the proposals and make their recommendation to the Council on January 17, 2017 for a vote. Contract should be awarded on January 17, 2017.
13. Discuss and possibly take action: Select tree service from sealed bids received, to cut down five trees on city right of way and to remove all debris for the purpose of safety to residential and city property.
14. Discuss and possibly take action: To accept Chief Graham’s hiring of one police Officer to fill the vacancy created by Jake Metcalf taking office as Constable. Chief Graham would like the new officer to begin work on Friday, December 2nd and train with he and Jake in order to be prepared for working solo as soon as possible. *Officer Metcalf will begin his vacation on approximately December 20th and his last day will be December 31, 2016. **Motion is to include the rate of pay for the position and be worded as full-time employee.
15. Discuss and possibly take action: Police New Hire Matters (if needed)
EXECUTIVE SESSION 551.072 to discuss the new hire with Chief Graham.
16. Reconvene into open session: