Leading the program was VFW Post Quartermaster Larry Hume. Opening the event with an invocation was David Mathis, First Baptist Church Minister.
VFW Post 8904 Sr. Vice Commander Newton Johnson, Jr. posted the ceremonial rifle with Kenneth Dickerson. This was followed by the National Anthem performed and led by Mathis.
Gold Star familes were recognized during the event. They included:
- Connie McAdams Dennis representing John W. Isaac Hays, Civil War Veteran; Joseph McCary, Civil War Veteran; and Dudley D. Holt, WWII Veteran.
- Dale Windham and Shirley Shofner representing Melvin Thomas Sam Windham, WWII Veteran; and Earnest W. Allen, WWII Veteran.
- Jo Wary and Winnie Preston representing Walter Hutto, WWII Veteran.
- W.L. Murphy representing Hoya B. Murphy, WWII Veteran.
- Joyce Johnson representing Mac C. Buckley, Vietnam Veteran.
- Donnice Roberts and children Caehlen and Keeghan representing Kevin Casey Roberts, Afghanistan Veteran.
Following the presentations of Gold Star banners to the families, the First Baptist Church Trio performed "In Flanders Fields."
The Shelby County 4-H Heart to Hand Quilts of Valor members, accompanied by Dr. Jheri-Lynn McSwain, presented two Quilts of Valor. The first was to Mike Langford and was sponsored by Woodmen Life Chapter 250. The second was to Gene Hutto and was sponsored by Woodmen Life Chapter 250.
Quilts of Valor Hearts to Hand members include Michelle Gomez, Fatima Romero, Rena Clark, Victoria Warren, Michele Clark, Joshua Clark, Autumn Alford, Lynette Alford, Jenny Salter, and Margaret Smith.
VFW Post 8904 members read names for the Roll Call of Honor in rememberance of those who lost their lives in service. The names can be heard on a video by clicking this link.
Audience members assisted VFW and Auxiliary members in decorating the memorial wreath. Following the decoration of the wreath, Leigh Porterfield performed "Last Full Measure of Devotion," which was then followed by a moment of silence.
Newton Johnson, Jr. and Kenneth Dickerson then escorted the wreath to the Shelby County Veterans Memorial outside there courthouse where the wreath was placed, flags were raised and Taps were played as presented by Mike Langford.
VFW Post 8904 Memorial Day Program Opening, Gold Star Presentations
First Baptist Church Trio Performs "In Flanders Fields"
Quilts of Valor Presentations
Roll Call of Honor
Leigh Porterfield Performs "Last Full Measure of Devotion"
Wreath Escort, Wreath Laying