July 25, 2018 - Welcome to the 2018 Volleyball Season! My name is Karrie Hargrave and I am very excited to be taking on the role of Head Coach for the upcoming season. I would like to provide you with some information regarding myself, our 2-a-day practices and the plan for our teams for the upcoming season.
This will be my 3rd year coaching. I have played volleyball and several other sports my entire life and having the opportunity to pass some of what I’ve learned along the way to the next generation of players has been one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done. I am very passionate about the game, the process of developing player skills, bonding a strong and united team, and developing good work ethic during practices and games. It is my belief that as the coach it is my role to ensure that all of this can be achieved while having fun along the way.
The objectives for the team and the actions of the coaches will be focused on building confidence, self-esteem, discipline and a sense of commitment and pride in their team, and in themselves. These personality traits and qualities will benefit them at whatever level they play. It is the coaches responsibility to help the athletes develop strong skills, challenge them and have them identify individual and team goals and develop a plan to achieve them. It is the player’s responsibility to begin thinking critically as it applies to their performance in practices and games to identify areas for improvement as well as areas of strength both as an individual and as a member of the team. I expect nothing less than their very best effort at all times and this combined with being the best team mate they can, is very important. It is significant to have the athletes are prepared and ready to play. Practices will be run with a high level of energy and effort, with the goal of this being translated into game situations.
The time commitment required from all players for the season is significant. We can expect to have 3-4 practices per week with the exception of game days. 1-2 practices per week will be weight training. In addition, there will be periodic team building events. All players are expected to attend all team events, with exceptions being made for illness or personal reasons. That being said, despite the time requirements for volleyball, it is my belief that volleyball should fall after education in terms of importance. Further, I will be looking for parent volunteers to manage community involvement activities as we look to expand the support of our Volleyball program.
Here is some important information in regards to volleyball two a days.
When: Starts Wednesday, August 1st
-be at the high school gym by 8:00 to sign in and turn in physicals etc.
- Workouts will begin at 8:30
- First session 8:30am-11:30am
- Break. 11:30am-1:30pm
- Last session is 1:30pm-3:30pm
What to bring:
- Physical and UIL paperwork- You MUST have all this paperwork turned in by 8:25 (if not already on file) or you will not be able to work out. If you do not have your paperwork you are still required to be at two a days.
- Indoor and Outdoor shoes- We will start outside with our timed conditioning then will proceed inside. Please have running shoes for outside and a second pair of shoes for inside.
- Snacks and sack lunch and bottled water- Athletes may stay at the gym during the two hour break or they may leave. If athletes choose to leave they must be back by 1:15 p.m. so they will be on time.
- Athletes will be required to wear workout shirt and shorts. We will issue out athletic clothes after the entire session Monday afternoon. They may wear BLACK SPANDEX ONLY for our indoor sessions. You must wear shorts over spandex when you arrive to practice and when exiting the school.
Requirements: Any athlete wanting to participate in volleyball must attend ALL of two a days.
They will be required to be there August 1st and every day after that in which we practice or play.
There will be a parent meeting August 1st in the gym at 7 p.m. It is recommended for parents and athletes to attend. Important paperwork, the volleyball schedule, and guidelines will be handed out and discussed as well as expectations.
We have a play day scheduled at Elysian Fields on August 3rd and 2-A-Day practice is set to continue August 4th. Schedules will also be distributed at the end of practice on the first day.
Should you have any questions regarding our Volleyball program for the 2018 season, feel free to contact me at email@example.com
Enjoy the rest of your summer. I look forward to meeting you on the court. Best Regards,