October 30, 2017 - Carthage hosted a UIL Academic Invitational on Saturday, October 28th and had 17 schools participate with over 200 competitors.
The following Center students competed and placed at the invitational:
- Number Sense – Amerison Shrestha won 6th place
- Mathematics – Amerison Shrestha won 2nd place and Eugene Nunez won 4th place
- Math Team – (Amerison Shrestha, Eugene Nunez, Scarlett Shires and Joshua Clark) won 1st place overall
- Calculator – Amerison Shrestha won 6th place
- News Writing – Celeste Gibson won 2nd place
- Feature Writing – Celeste Gibson won 2nd place
- Editorial Writing – Reanna Arndt won 2nd place; Hannah Lawson won 3rd place; and Brianna Dicks won 4th place
- Headline Writing – Brianna Dicks won 3rd place; Amerison Shrestha won 4th place; and Reanna Arndt won 5th place
- Journalism Team – won 1st place overall
- Social Studies – Ben Galindo won 6th place
- Biology – Scarlett Shires won 3rd place
- Physics – Joshua Clark won 2nd place and Scarlett Shires won 5th place
- Overall Science – Joshua Clark won 4th place and Science Team won 3rd place
- Accounting – Amerison Shrestha won 1st place; Eugene Nunez won 3rd place
- Accounting Team – (Amerison Shrestha, Eugene Nunez and David Palacios) won 1st place overall.
- Cross Examination Debate – Mark Perkins was the top speaker for the tournament and was 3-0. The team of Stefany Moreno and Kristen Orsak were 2-1 and in the top 10.
- Persuasive Speaking – Mark Perkins advanced to finals