March 19, 2018 - There will be time allotted from 5-5:30pm for our commercial trash customers to meet with Jimmy Esparza, the District Manager for Waste Connections, to discuss any issues with the service.
Notice is hereby given that a meeting of the governing body of the above named City will be held on the 20th day of March, 2018 at 5:30 pm at the City Hall, 456 Jacob Street, Timpson, Texas, at which time the following subjects will be considered, to-wit:
1. Call to Order:
3. Pledge: United States Pledge, Texas Pledge
4. Chamber of Commerce: Presented by Paul Smith.
5. Council Items: Reports by the members of the City Council on matters not on the agenda will be made at this time. A total, not to exceed 10 minutes will be devoted to these reports.
6. Presentations & Recognition: The City would like to thank Tommy Sparks for 32 years of service and Paula Mullins for 9 years of service to the City of Timpson.
7. Citizens Input: This time is provided for members of the public to address the City Council on items that appear within the Consent and Action Items or a matter not listed on the agenda. Each speaker is limited to 3 minutes. A Citizens Input Form may be filled out and filed with the City Secretary prior to the meeting.
8. Department Reports:
A. Public Works Report: Larry Burns reporting.
B. Police Department Report: Kent Graham reporting
C. Municipal Court Report: For the month of February 2018, there were 31 citations issued, 37 violations, 0 to juveniles and 3 to minors. Total amount reported $17,842.15 the City’s portion a 55% estimate of $9,813.18. In addition, $1,130.73 will be paid to Linebarger for their fees we collected in the month of February.
D. City Secretary: Leslie Leathers reporting there will be a trash dumpster on April 7th beside City Hall on Railroad Ave from 6 am - noon or until capacity is reached. The recycle roll off box will be here for aluminum, paper and plastic only, April 2nd – 7th on the Plaza. The last payment for the loan agreement with Texas State Bank to borrow money for last years culvert improvements was made this month. ($3,988.35 each month from the Water Department was being paid on this loan.)
Update on the EDC Sidewalk Project.
E. Election Info: There were 5 completed candidate packets submitted for the General Election on May 5th. Incumbent Yvonne Ramsey, Janell Baker and George Grace, and Teri Alexander are the candidates for the two seats on the City Council. Debra Pate Smith is running unopposed for Mayor. They will begin their new terms in May of 2018. A drawing was held on February 26th for placement on the ballot. Yvonne Ramsey will be listed 1st, George Grace 2nd, Janell Baker 3rd and Teri Alexader 4th.
- Early Voting begins April 23rd at City Hall and ends May 1st ; weekdays only
- April 23rd and May 1st are extended hours – 7am – 7pm other days are 8am-5pm
- April 5th - the last day to register to vote or make a change of address in order to be able to vote in the May 5th Election.
- April 24th - the last day to apply for ballots to be voted by mail.
- May 5th --ELECTION DAY-- 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Timpson ISD Gym foyer.
9. Consent Agenda: Items included under the Consent Agenda require little or no deliberation by the Council. Approval of the Consent Agenda authorizes the City Secretary to proceed with the conclusion of each item as reflected in the Minutes of this meeting.
A. Consider approval of the minutes of the regular meeting held on February 20, 2018
B. Consider approval of Financial Statements for the month of February 2018
C. Consider approval of Accounts Payable – Paid bills for February, 2018
D. Approve Resolution 03202018-1 (387) Waiver in Lieu of Taxes for Timpson Housing Authority.
E. Approval of the TVFD Officers elected on March 13, 2018. Fire Chief-Tuffy Green, Assistant Chief-Corey Green, Treasurer-Pete Andrews, Secretary-Talitha Green, Training Officer-James Higgins and Captains-Frank Chimney, Nathan Ramsey, Marty Mikesh, Andy Terry and Zach Short.
F. First Baptist Church will again be hosting the Timpson Community Easter Event and Egg Hunt at SoSo Park on Saturday, March 24th from 11:30am-2:00pm. We will have an Easter Egg Hunt for Toddlers through 12 years of age immediately following the “Meaning of Easter” message. Each kid that hunts eggs will receive their own Bag of Easter Candy. With Special prizes given for those that find the “Prize Eggs”. There will be several activities and games: crafts, face painting, cross construction, “Plinko” and more. This will be a great time of Celebration and Fun as the Timpson Community comes together to celebrate Easter in a fun and exciting community event. If you or your group would like to volunteer and/or donate to this event, you can contact First Baptist Church office at 936-254-2220.
REGULAR AGENDA ITEMS (10 –12)
10. Discuss and possibly take action: Request for Bids or renew contract for the mowing of the Parks, RR row, and other city property currently on contract with Gareth Yoder for $23,860 per year paid monthly $1,988.33 (same as last year).
11. Discuss and possibly take action: Sale by sealed bids for the donated 2008 Crown Vic owned by the Police Department. Mileage is 116,000 and it is currently fully operational. New owner will be expected to take possession within 15 days of purchase. Sealed bids are to be dropped off at City Hall or mailed to PO Box 369. The City reserves the right to reject any and all bids. Bids must be turned in or postmarked by March 30th, 2018. Council will either except or reject bids at the April 17th Meeting. Certified funds or cash will be required at time of transfer of property/ownership. The last request for bids had a minimum of $1,500, does the Council want to lower the minimum amount? To date no bids have been submitted.
The Council reserves the right to retire into executive session concerning any of the items listed on this agenda whenever it is considered necessary and is legally justified under the Open Meetings Act.
This facility is wheelchair accessible and wheelchair parking is available. Requests for accommodations or interpretive services must be made 48 hours prior to this meeting. Please contact the City Secretary at 254-2421 for further information or needed assistance.
This agenda is posted as required under Government Code Section 551.041. For more information or for a copy of the open meetings act, please contact the Attorney General of Texas at 1-800-252-8011 or the City Secretary at 936-254-2421.