Four Wheeler Ignites Causing Structure Fire

February 2, 2015 - A four wheeler parked under a carport is believed to be the cause of a structure fire on CR 1005 which the Center Fire Department responded to Monday morning.

According to the Center FD, a 9-1-1 call came in at 9:40am Monday, February 2, 2015 for a structure, possible house fire, on CR 1005 belonging to Darrell and Pam Samford. Upon arrival at the scene, fire fighters located a fully involved fire on the backside of a house. Once water was put to the fire, it was discovered the source was a parked four wheeler under the carport.

Cody Matlock, renter living in the house, was at home when the fire was discovered. He, along with Pam Samford who called 9-1-1, attempted to extinguish the flames before the fire department arrived only to find the water hose located 10 feet from the fire was frozen from the overnight freezing temperatures. Family pets located inside the house were evacuated to a safe area.

Fire fighters quickly extinguished the flames which had spread to the roof of the carport; however, the house only received minimal smoke damage inside the back door from the carport to the house. According to fireman Derek Lightfoot, the siding on the house was hardie board, a fire resistant material, and was most likely the reason for the fire did not spread from the 4-wheeler to the house.

Renter, Jill Albert who was at work at the Light and Champion at the time of the fire, was dispatched to her own house fire.